BCG Treatment Journey

11 months 2 weeks ago #61801 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Due to psoriasis, I would like to avoid the BCG TX, but so far this is all I've been offered pending the outcome of a second TURBT to get a larger sample of the bladder wall.  So i have several weeks before I need to make a decision.  I did find information on a promising alternative from the Brady urological Institute that involved delivering a mixture of anti-cancer drugs directly into the bladder through  catheter.  Findings suggest that this approach can prevent high-grade cancer recurence better than BCG and has fewer side effects.  In this case, the Intavesical combination chemotherapy used gemcitabine/docetaxel.  
I joined this support group in order to hear from real people about what they are going through and I sincerely appreciate all the responses so far.  Collectively, we can make this unpleasant journey doable by sharing information, suggestions , etc.  If I have to go the BCG route, I will feel better prepared from what I have learned here in just a short time.
Thank you everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #61800 by rheako
Replied by rheako on topic BCG Treatment Journey
The same reason it's a Hotspot for cancer is also an advantage for treatment.  The bladder is a one-way valve, receiving toxins in and preventing them from reentering the body's systems. You should have no problems! 
Best of luck, and keep us posted in your progress, please✌️

11 months 2 weeks ago #61799 by rheako
Replied by rheako on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hi Hannah, so sorry to welcome you to this group, but it's the best place for support, advice, and info. These guys are great!
I totally agree with all of Eddie's wisdom!  I did 2 cups of bleach and left it in the toilet until I went enough to fill it up. You will find you feel the need to go frequently, like every few minutes, but only produce a dribble for several hours after treatment. 
Holding it the initial 2 hours was no problem, and I couldn't hold enough for an ultrasound when I was pregnant lol, so I wouldn't worry about that. I had to set a timer ro remember to go after 2 hours, it's that easy. Getting the treatments was easy as well, 20-30 mins for me, check in to walking out.
Seems standard from my experience and all I've read, as the treatments progress, the symptoms get slightly worse, with increased bleeding and need/frequency to urinate. Be prepared, but don't worry, it's not that bad considering you're fighting cancer.
Best of luck! Check in here often and let us know how you're doing!! 
✌️

11 months 2 weeks ago #61798 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hey Hannah,  Welcome to our little group.  There are 6 or 7 of us cataloging our journeys and encouraging each other.  Even though you are new, you are not that far behind us and we are willing to pull you along with us as you enter your BCG journey.  First let me tell you that we all have had similar worries, concerns, and fears.  I can also tell you that YOU GOT THIS, and we will attempt to help you along.  First, I have to say I am not a Physician.  I'm just a guy diagnosed with HGT1 Bladder Cancer and a little time to do some research.  Since BCG is an Immunotherapy, it does effect your Immune system.  It teaches your cells how to fight bladder cancer.  I have looked into information from the National Library at the National Institute of Health.  There are many studies/articles there.  For me, my wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is on an immune compromising drug  (EMBRIL) and she is tested for TB on an annual basis normally.  Her Rheumatologist told us just to be careful, use good hygiene, and yes use the separate bathroom if possible.  Information that I have read indicate that chances of other reactions are so very small.  Also, the chances of it effecting your Psoriasis is probably a possibility, but I have to believe It's kind of like reading the warnings on any medication.  All things are possible.  Most of us have had the same experiences with our first set of 6 treatments.  The first couple are a piece of cake and as the bladder gets more irritated from the treatments there is urgency and burning when you go to the bathroom.  Here is what I tell myself.  I will do whatever it takes to keep this cancer from coming back so I can spend more time with my family.  Oh ya, about the bleach.  It is the recommended cleaning/sanitizing procedure and since you are not on septic, it shouldn't present any problems as it does for us on septic.  I know this is overwhelming at first but this is your best path right now.  That you are able to get this treatment that is very effective.  You Got This Hannah.  We all are pulling for and praying for you.  Let us know how it goes each week, we want to know and help if we can.  Eddie

11 months 2 weeks ago #61797 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hi Hannah!

I will just second Bill's comments about the safety of BCG.  Yes, it is a bacteria solution, but just common sense hygiene is all that is required, plus Clorox.  it is no big deal!  You will do fine.

Sara Anne  

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 months 2 weeks ago #61796 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Thanks for sharing.  I don't have a septic so that's one less thing to add to my worry list.  And I do have a bathroom that only I can use which will be a good thing.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne