BCG Treatment Journey

10 months 3 weeks ago #61819 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hey Hank, glad to hear about your latest Cystoscopy and that your second round of treatments are going as before.  Not great to hear about your prostrate issue.  Hopefully they can give you some better news on that after your biopsy.  I will have my cystoscopy in about 3 weeks and if all goes well, I will start treatments 7, 8, & 9.  Hang in there Hank, I know it seems overwhelming, I get it.  Stay strong, I believe your mind can control many things that go on in your body.  Try not to get down, we are all praying for a good outcome from your biopsy.  Eddie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alkamodaddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 3 weeks ago #61818 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
I was told the same thing, but I'm not sure I agree with this.  From what I've read, the Gem/doce seems to do equally well and perhaps better than BCG.  I was also told that treatments other than the BCG are not covered by insurance which seems unusual.  I plan on checking this out.
It's good to hear that you're doing well on the BCG TX which is really the important thing.

10 months 3 weeks ago #61817 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Thanks Sara!  Feel relieved already.  Sometimes when something different happens we tend to go to dark places.  Keep the faith!

10 months 3 weeks ago #61816 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Treatment Journey
You are doing well with the BCG!!  And yes, clots are normal.  I sure had more than one!!

As for the possibility of prostate issues, my husband was told that most men get prostate cancer eventually and that while it can be really bad news,  often it does not become a dangerous issue.  So it is possible, if it IS cancer, that it is totally unrelated to the bladder issues.  Your urologist would be a good one to discuss this with.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 months 3 weeks ago #61815 by Alkamodaddy
So, I just got back from my 2 of 3 BCG treatments.  I continue to tolerate the treatments pretty well.  One thing I noticed, after the last three treatments, the next morning, I passed what appears to be a small clot.  After that all normal.  Anyone else experience this?  
Also, I do have an update on my condition.  I recently had my PSA checked and it was 6.5.  My doctor suggested, and I wholeheartedly agreed to do an MRI of my prostate.  Turns out, I have a fairly large mass on the right side of my prostate.  I am scheduled for a biopsy in  in mid June.  So bottom line, even though we are battling bladder cancer, don't neglect the routine testing.  I probably will never know if my Bladder cancer caused the prostate cancer, or vice versa.  Take Care all and keep the faith!  Hank

10 months 3 weeks ago #61814 by Alkamodaddy
Hi Hannah,
I was told that the BCG regimen was the gold standard for treating Bladder Cancer.  I am currently on that regimen.  I have completed the initial 6 weekly infusions and had a clear cystoscopy recently.  I am now on a regimen of 3 BCG treatments with another Cystoscopy in July.  When I started all this, the hospital I was going to could not get BCG due to shortages of the chemical.  If I had not found another hospital, I would have been started on the gemcetibine/docetaxel treatment instead.  I cant't speak to which is better, just sharing my experience.  Good luck with your Turbt and which ever treatment you decide.  Hank

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne