BCG Treatment Journey

11 months 2 weeks ago #61795 by Pickle_Bill
Replied by Pickle_Bill on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Yes, hold the BCG for 2 hours, that was easy. Literally less than 10 minutes at the Dr's office, very easy, catheter in, BCG in, catheter out, done, and headed home.  As to the clorox, because i have a septic system, I was concerned about the long term effects it may have on my septic's health. So, I did a bunch of research. I decided to minimize the clorox. I have a private bathroom all to myself, so all voiding was done there. I used about a cup of clorox and didn't flush till the end of the 6 hours post BCG. My take on the clorox is that it has been a long standing practice that was put in place to protect the manufacturer from law suits. I don't believe there has ever been any case of someone getting tuberculosis from BCG treatments. Yes, it is wise to be cautious with good personal hygiene. Your situation may be different, so take my words for what they are worth. I am not a doctor or scientist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #61794 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Thanks for sharing as that's encouraging.  Did you have to keep the BCG TX in the bladder for 2 hours and then flush with clorox?  Since it's a live bacteria, it does seem a bit scary.

11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #61793 by Pickle_Bill
I have had minimal side effects. First three almost no side effects, last three just some minor burning and just a bit of blood that cleared up in less than 24 hours. I do not have any autoimmune disease, I do have heart diseases (quad bypass and cow valve) and diabetes. I was also very concerned about side effects, but have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the treatments were. My doctor said that only about 1% of his patients have difficulties with the treatments. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: hannah

11 months 2 weeks ago #61792 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Have you had any side effects from the BCG treatments?  I'm concerned because I have psoriasis which is an autoimmune disease and I haven't been able to find any information that's up-to-date about BCG for people with autoimmune diseases.

11 months 2 weeks ago #61791 by Pickle_Bill
Looks like we are all on a similar track/timeline. I have my post 6 week treatment cystoscopy next Monday. Of course a little bit of apprehension, but overall feel positive. My thoughts are with us all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rheako

11 months 2 weeks ago #61790 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hey rheako,  You got this.  We are all pulling for you.  Let us know how it goes.  Still have a month to wait for another cystoscopy and then if all goes well, I will start my second round of treatments, only 3 this time.  We are all moving forward, hopefully with ALL GOOD Results.  Stay Strong Everyone.  Eddie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rheako

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne