BCG Treatment Journey

4 months 1 week ago #62075 by Pickle_Bill
Replied by Pickle_Bill on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Just to update, went into the hospital on November 2nd to go on IV blood thinner to replace my oral thinner (plavix) 5 days prior to my TURBT on November 7th. TURBT was done, back on plavix the next day in hospital and sent home on the 10th. Had the usual spasms, frequency, urgency after coming home. Blood and blood clots were more than my first TURBT a year ago, but that was to be expected due to the blood thinner. One week home on November 18th, I can't pee...only blood. Off to the ER, they inserted a 3-way catheter and flush out a bunch of blood clots. Admitted me and put me on 10 liters of saline per hour flushing my bladder through the 3-way. On the 22nd, back into to OR to cauterize the bleeding, then back to my hospital room for more flushing through the 3-way. At this point i'm really concerned that this plavix blood thinner is going to make me continue to bleed. I ask my urologist if he had consulted with my cardiologist regarding maybe stopping the plavix (it has been 5 months since my stent was placed) the urologist has not spoked with the cardiologist...I was upset to say the least, and he called the cardiologist right then. Cardiologist said it was safe to stop the plavix. Home on the 26th. Things seem to be going as expected now, with one small scare a couple days ago with some big clots that I had trouble passing, they eventually passed....thank god. No way did I want to go back to the hospital. What a friggin month. Cystoscopy scheduled March 5th, then hopefully pick up at BCG #10 where I left off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 2 weeks ago #62044 by hannah
Replied by hannah on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Well that's really good news especially with the holidays right around the corner.  I don't return for a cystoscopy until the end of December so I have nothing new to report; however, don't hesitate to message me if you have any gem/doce questions or concerns.  At the moment, I feel pretty good so all is well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alkamodaddy, brandbr

5 months 2 weeks ago #62043 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hey Hank,  GREAT NEWS on the camera check.  That's what we all worry about and are relieved when we get good results only to start worrying all over again about the next one.  The availability of BCG seems to be a problem off and on for a while now.  Hopefully the Doc gets some in.  We are all praying for a good supply of BCG.  Hang in there, Good Luck, I am praying for you.  Eddie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alkamodaddy, brandbr

5 months 2 weeks ago #62042 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Well, I had my cystoscopy today and doc says everything looks good.  I have to say I was pretty worried this time, so very relieved to get good results.  On the downside, I won't be able to start my next BCG treatments until February because of the shortage.  So almost two months late.  Doc says should be fine, but if I had to wait any longer, we would look at alternative treatments. (gem/doce I am guessing).  So, I hope their supply comes in OK.  If I do have to switch, I am glad we have Hannah to lean on for her experience with it.  Take care all!  Hank
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandbr

5 months 2 weeks ago #62039 by brandbr
Replied by brandbr on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Thank you Hank and Eddie.  I will do my best to learn from your experiences and relay mine to the group as well.  So glad I found this very welcoming group!   Brian

5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #62038 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hey Brian,  I would like to say WELCOME to this forum.  I would also like to say that I am truly sorry that you had a very good reason to find and reach out to us.  First, I'd like to say that we are very interested in your journey, so please continue to post.  We are here to answer any questions you might have based on all of our experiences.  We have done a bunch of research, though we are not medically qualified, we are a wealth of knowledge.  A lot of us are strong in our faith and believe that keeping a fighting attitude gives us the best chance for good outcomes.  Though we don't really know each other, we know what each one of us is going thru because we have been there.  Share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with.  Different diagnosis mean different thing as far a treatment goes.  We have folks in different stages of Immunotherapy Treatment (BCG) and some opting for Gem/Doce (Gemcitabine/Docetaxel), Hannah is our expert on that treatment, or at least our Pioneer.  Let us know how things are going and we will do our best to carry you along with us on our journey.  Again, Welcome, Stay Strong, we are Praying for you also.  Don't hesitate to reach out.  Eddie 
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandbr

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne