Invasive Bladder Cancer - Non Cystectomy Treatments???

16 years 7 months ago #8535 by momof4
Hi Carmine,

Get a few more opinions if it makes you feel comfortable. You should be happy with the institution you are choosing for your care.

But,

If the Cancer has spread into the muscle it is high grade. In my opinion, (and since you are asking for opinions) Get the surgery. It WILL spread left untreated, and even after months of painful treatments you are likely to lose it anyway... Unfortunately even with removal. There is still quite a bit of follow-up, but you are getting the heart of it out before it goes anywhere else.

Now, as for where you should do it? That is a real personal choice I have found, and as much research should go into that as goes into finding second, third, etc...opinions. You are so close to a variety of MAJOR Hospitals, actually centrally located...NY, Penn, Wash, Maryland, Virginia...Be thankful you are where you are, some people on this site are not so lucky to have so many great choices in their backyard. You can be very selective...

Keep us posted,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #8534 by newpatient
Hello All!
I am a 50 yr old, male, from Wilmington, Delaware. Yesterday, I was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer.

My pathology report states:

SPECIMEN
A. Bladder tumor deep
B. Bladder tumor
Clinical Notes
PRE-OP Diagnosis: 6X4 cm. tumor right trigone near bladder neck

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION
A. The specimen is composed of high grade papillary urothelial carcinoma, the details of which are partly obscured by marked tumor necrosis and cautery artifact. Because of this, lamina propria invasion cannot be documented. However, invasion of muscularis propria is present.
B. The specimen discloses high grade papillary urothelial carcinoma, as well as areas of low grade papillary carcinoma. There is abundant associated tumor necrosis and calcification. Lamina propria invasion is present. No definite muscularis propria is available for evaluation.

DIAGNOSIS
A. Bladder tumor deep, excision - High grade papillary urothelial carcinoma, with invasion of muscularis propria.
B. Bladder tumor, excision - High grade papillary urothelial carcinoma with Lamina propria invasion. No definite muscularis propria is present.

All other test (CT scan included) have shown no indication that the cancer has spread to lymph nodes or surrounding organs.

My first question is, are there no other successful treatments available for the conditions described above accept Cystectomy?

My uerologist as well as a second opinion from an oncologist and another uerologist from the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at the Christiana Hospital in Delaware have all come to this conclusion. I am considering getting another opinion from Doctors at the John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore MD. and The Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia.
My second question is am I being foolish and in denial or should I be as cautious as possible hoping for a less invasive cure?
Thanks
- Carmine -

Age 54 T2 high grade Rx 9/17/2007
RC 4/24/2008 Dr. David Chen
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr. Philadelphia PA
with DaVinci Robotic Assist
Retired from General Motors
1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne