Invasive Bladder Cancer - Non Cystectomy Treatments???

16 years 6 months ago #8717 by Patricia
Hi Carmine.....I know of Dr. Robert Uzzo at Fox Chase who also does the DaVinci technique...He was a senior resident at Memorial Sloan and did his fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic...top hospitals in Cancer and Urology. Good luck with your consult. Let us know how it turns out. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8715 by newpatient
Hi Pat!
I haven't asked him how many yet. I have decide to go to The Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia for another consultation. I have to fax them my test reports tomorrow to set up the appt. It would be a lot more managable than going to John Hopkins for any regular ongoing treatment.

- Carmine -

Age 54 T2 high grade Rx 9/17/2007
RC 4/24/2008 Dr. David Chen
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr. Philadelphia PA
with DaVinci Robotic Assist
Retired from General Motors
1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

16 years 6 months ago #8651 by Patricia
They've been using the DaVinci for Prostatic surgeries a lot longer than bladder surgeries. How many cysectomies has your surgeon done? What happened to the Johns Hopkins consult? Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8647 by newpatient
Hi Wendy,
According to thier website www.usadelaware.com/ my uerologist performed the first surgery using the DaVinci robot Oct. 2006. I don't think it was Bladder removal though only prostate. If I go with the standard surgery I have to get another surgeon.
- Carmine -

Age 54 T2 high grade Rx 9/17/2007
RC 4/24/2008 Dr. David Chen
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr. Philadelphia PA
with DaVinci Robotic Assist
Retired from General Motors
1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

16 years 6 months ago #8630 by wendy
Hi Carmine,

I saw a video at a conference last May, of experts doing cystectomy with Da Vinci. The biggest drawback at this moment is that the 'state of the art' of bladder replacement is a neobladder (esp. for men...women have slightly more complications), but the Da Vinci and/or laparoscopic patients are ending up with more ileal conduits or continent reservoirs (like the Indiana pouch).

The other question is whether the long term outcome is equal to that of open surgery and the answers aren't in yet, not enough time has passed.

So, yes, DaVinci just might limit the type of procedure-meaning that instead of the neobladder you might end up with one of the other types of diversions.

Have you read the 'cystectomy' section on WebCafe? There are a lot of pages covering all the types of diversions. blcwebcafe.org/cystectomy.asp

Let your doctor totally convince you, remember that this is still an experimental procedure. Ask if it's a clinical trial.

One good thing about it is that if your surgeon is trained for using DaVinci he must be a very good and experienced surgeon at a very good institution!

Keep us posted and best of luck with making your decision.

Wendy

16 years 6 months ago #8621 by mznoregrets
Hi Joe,
My RC/neobladder was DaVinci at Mayos...However, there seems to be some confusion about the robotic part of the surgery. There were 3 surgeons involved in it too. Wish I understood more of how all is done - I just know I been focused on recovery :)
Been watching all your posts too - so glad to hear you are doing so well and so positive. Your thankfulness over being cancer free is awesome :) God Bless, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne