Invasive Bladder Cancer - Non Cystectomy Treatments???

16 years 6 months ago #8775 by joeburg55
Hi, My name is Joe, I was diagnosed with Grade 3, T2, No, Mo invasive bladder cancer. It was 1cm large when found, it had not left the bladder, but had gotton into the fatty tissue and possibly some of the mucel. My choice was a turb, Chemo and Radiation. I decided to go the bladder sparing route due to my doctors oppinion and my relitively good health, This was 7 months ago, Today i go in for my first scope to see how things are. I just had my 52nd birthday. If your choice is removal i wish you the best of luck, You may contact me with any ??? you might have. Good Luck
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8755 by Mike
Carmine if I'm not mistaking Fox Chase has a center at Crozer Chester Hospital in Upland now I think you should know where I mean off Kerlin St. Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8754 by Zachary

Carmine, after your surgery you may not have to visit your local urologist again--at least on a regular basis.

It's been a year and four months since my surgery, and--aside from going back to USC/Norris every six months--I haven't been to my local urologist even once. There hasn't been any need to.

Chemo was at a local clinic--the oncologist called Dr. Stein at USC, they agreed on the protocol, and that was that.

Unless there is something unforeseen coming up, I don't have any plans to go back to the oncologist who gave me chemo either. My only plans are to go back to USC every six months until I'm five years clean, then every year after that. It's a few hours from here, so we stay at a nice hotel and have a good dinner. In the grand scheme of things, not too bad at all.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #8753 by Mike
Everyone is different and you never know how the person that gets a neobladder is going to be. It's the samething they don't know if they can do it for sure till they got you open up and get a good look so you have to be ready just in case. When I was being wheeled down to surgery sure I was thinking about a neobladder and the nerve sparing thing but there is no guarantee and believe you me when you got all them people moving around you and setting things up are only really thinking God please let me live. Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8750 by mikeg
hello - sorry to hear about your diagnosis. my husband and i have just finished going through all that you're going through right now - we finished this summer. we went to two different doctors for opinions - one from dr. uzzo at fox chase (we live about 15 minutes from there) and the other from dr. mark schoenberg at hopkins.

dr. uzzo had done 150 radical cysto-prostatectomies as of when we went to see him this summer. dr. schoenberg had done 541 as of this summer. that's a gigantic difference, in my book. also, a good friend of ours is an oncologist. we asked his advice on our decision, so he read all the studies for us to help us decide, and he liked the hopkins model better than the fox chase one. this friend went to harvard undergrad, and cornell med. school, and we think he is absolutely brilliant.

uzzo wanted to remove the bladder, prostate, etc., in 3 weeks from the day we went to see him. he felt that since there was no evidence of spread of the cancer on all the scans my husband had, he did NOT want to give him chemo because having the chemo would only increase his survival chances about 5%. well, 5% is a very meaningful number if you happen to be in that 5%. yes, the chemo sucks. but suppose there's ONE stray cancer cell out there, and it spreads. then you're screwed.

when we went to schoenberg, he said that in 2001 they used to just do the RC, and if the cancer had spread, then they would do chemo afterwards. well, guess what. it's now 2007, and things have changed. now they do chemo first. from what i hear on this forum from all the people who have had the RC, the recovery afterwards is brutal. add chemo to that mix, and it's not a happy time. also, as i said, our friend the oncologist agreed with schoenberg. and one more thing - schoenberg said having the chemo first increases your survival chances by 10-15%. so my advice for you would be to go to hopkins. uzzo is good; schoenberg is better. also he's doing more cutting-edge work. fox chase is a factory. and afterwards, big deal if you have to drive to baltimore. isn't your life worth that drive? once we're done the first maybe 6 months (i'm guessing) after surgery, then we can go to our local urologist for follow-up care. schoenberg already spoke to our urologist about it.

one more thing. dr. uzzo gave me two names of former patients to call to ask about their experience. i only called one. we were interested in the neobladder. the man that uzzo gave me to call wears diapers every single night, and wets himself 6 nights out of 7. also, he hasn't even tried to have sex yet, and his surgery was 2 years ago. you can't help but wonder about a doctor who gives you this guy as one of his two referrals.

then schoenberg - he gave us THREE PAGES of names to call. big difference. one of the names had his neobladder about 5 years ago. he hasn't had any problems at all with it - can have sex, is NOT incontinent, etc. however, he was going the next day for an exploratory surgery because in one of his follow-up scans, they thought they saw kidney cancer. now i don't know if this relates to the BC or not, but i asked him if he had had chemo first, and he said NO. so, one more reason to get the chemo.

so, kudos to you for accepting that you MUST get the RC. you can do the chemo in your local hospital. the protocol is the same everywhere. we met with dr. vaughn down at univ. of penna. hospital. he's the big bladder oncologist. we live 5 minutes from a cancer center at Abington hospital, our local hospital. vaughn said ABSOLUTELY we can go to the local hospital for chemo. it's "bread and butter oncology that any decent community hospital oncologist can do." however, for the surgery, you MUST give yourself the absolute best odds, and schoenberg is one of the best. my husband is 58, never smoked, and was in perfect health till he got the bladder cancer, and schoenberg is our choice of surgeon. best of luck to you.

eileen, mike's wife

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

16 years 6 months ago #8718 by Zachary

Sounds like a good choice. They are actually this country's first cancer hospital.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne