Invasive Bladder Cancer - Non Cystectomy Treatments???

16 years 6 months ago #9341 by Mike
Carmine I know my surgeon said he had best survival success rate doing the pre-op or adjuvant chemo before the RC and it is a proven medical fact that this is true. I had about 4 links with this info just don't have them handy now. And also I keep telling you About Fox Chase at Crozer Hospital and you don't give me a reply Carmine. When you go for chemo you will find they have their people down here ( partners ) also and it is a hell of alot better then driving all the way up to the upper Northeast. Like the Univ of Penn has treatment centers all around if you choose not to go in the city. Somedays you will not be up for driving after getting the chemo so why not choose a closer place. Just google Crozer Chester medical Center. never mind here's the link

www.crozer.org/CKHS
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9333 by newpatient
oops! I forgot to thank Holly and Ginger too! I hope you still will read my posts.

- Carmine -

Age 54 T2 high grade Rx 9/17/2007
RC 4/24/2008 Dr. David Chen
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr. Philadelphia PA
with DaVinci Robotic Assist
Retired from General Motors
1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

16 years 6 months ago #9332 by newpatient
Hello All,
Thanks for every bit of info./support from everyone. I have been extremely glad that I found this web site. I have been quiet for the past week, trying to concentrate on everything that's going on. I met with Dr. David Chen at Fox Chase last friday and set Nov. 13th (day before my 51st BDay) to meet with an Oncologist and start chemo therapy. Dr. Chen says that sometime in the spring I will have my RC. I will be going the DaVinci route and have decided on the neobladder, Dr. Chen thinks I am a good candidate for it and says he wouldn't have any problems installing one even with the DaVinci RC method.. Thanks for the advice Zach, Wendy, Joe, Karen Eileen and Pat. I feel a lot more confident now than I did when I talked to the Dr's. at Helen F. Graham.
Eileen, Dr. Chen does Chemo before the RC just like Dr. Schoenburg at Hopkins, and he also believes there is a better success rate that way. I never saw or spoke with Dr. Uzzo there.

I will keep you all posted,
Thanks
- Carmine -

1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

16 years 6 months ago #8805 by Mike
I was also T2 G3 and I faced the facts right away and that was my bladder had to come out and there's no way around it. This cancer sucks and losing your bladder the samething. You wanna survive thats the deal. My tumor was also over 2 inches long and I was dx on 1/6/07. The same day I was dx I called my PD to get me a referall to the Univ of Penn. The rest is history I made a great decision and I did not waste time and on 8/3/07 I found out I was cancer free as of now by the grace Of God. I wish you two the best in your decisions. Eventually it all comes down to that you have to make your decisions and this site is here for folks that help but also just share their experiences. No one can tell you what to do and how to go about this surgery. They can make suggestions to you as I have. It was a damn big shock being told I had a 2 inch tumor but I am sure glad I accepted what I had to do and then as I said chose a hospital rather quick cause I knew where I wanted to go and then discussed all my options there. Good Luck, Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8800 by joeburg55
Hi Carmine, Joe Here, went to by first scope,The doctor took a small biopsy of an red area he said was a precautionary measure, bout the 1/4th the size of this smiley :) no turmors but a little inflamation, Feels its from the radiation, Will have an answer by Monday.Otherwise everything looked good,But i will let you know this, That if i get even an inkling of an idea that it has returned, my bladder and me will be seperated for ever. I may not like the idea, but i am a realistic and 23 years in the military has made probly more so. As far as Momof4, Ohhhh we know! belive me, we know, LOL thanks for the caring and advice.
Joe

16 years 6 months ago #8793 by newpatient
Hi Joe,
Glad to hear from you. I have the same diagnosis, however my tumor was the size of an orange. Since the CT scan, blood test and pathology test indicate that the cancer is invasive but contained within the bladder I am seeking another opinion. I am also requesting they perform some more tests. I don't want my bladder removed, but I am planning on it. Please let me know how your scope check went.

- Carmine -

1/1/2008 (with 30yrs).
Married

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne