Invasive Bladder Cancer - Non Cystectomy Treatments???

16 years 6 months ago #8550 by Mike
Carmine as others here have told you once the cancer invades the muscle wall of the bladder you best odds of survival is getting the cystectomy. I had a T2 G3 invassive tumor and since my cancer was contained as yours is I got chemo done first then the surgery. My surgeon said with my type of tumor he has the best success rate treating tumors like I had this way and he proved right because today after about a 6 month battle I am cancer free as of now. I was dx on 1/6/07 and finished my chemo on 4/20 and had my surgery on 6/20. I'm an x-trucker I use to drive for Consolidated Freightways and made many deliveries to Christiana Hospital. I had all my work done at the Univ of Penn and for me it was the best decision of my life. John Hopkins is an excellent hospital also so it just depends on where you want to go but with this cancer you want a top notch Urologist/Oncologist and surgeon. Best of Luck to you, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8548 by timb
If the surgeons good the surgery is your best chance of beating this disease and, one year on from cystectomy, my life is pretty much 99% back to normal. Really. you're a good age for it too

all the best

tim

16 years 6 months ago #8543 by wendy

Hi Carmine,

If you are describing a single tumor, the only other option for a muscle invasive tumor is the combination of deep TUR/resection, followed by chemo-radiation therapy. The team at Mass. General is probably the most experienced with this, but I'm sure Johns Hopkins has the equipment as well as other cancer centers. In order to qualify a person needs to fit strict criteria and you may already have flunked them by the size of the tumor(s, and/or the location near the bladder neck. But you could always ask if preserving your bladder is of paramount importance to you. There is a page with info on this 'combined modalities' approach here:
blcwebcafe.org/combinedmodalities.asp The protocol is difficult and it's a long road but some people feel that it's worth it to them.

As I said, you may not qualify for this bladder sparing approach, and if cystectomy is your only option, for sure you snhould go to Johns Hopkins if you can. Dr. Schoenberg is the best.

Keep in touch, and good luck finding your path.
Wendy

16 years 6 months ago #8541 by Gene Beane
Welcome to the forum,
You sound alot like me when I was told of my husbands stage 3 invasive bladder cancer, the doctor mentioned bladder removal along with chemo and radiation as his recommendation. I must admit I shut out the bladder removal all together. After going to the Cleveland Clinic for the second opinion and 2nd turb the answer was bladder removal, no doubt. Yes, I said can't we just take out the tumor, answer, you'll just be taking out the bladder down the road. We are here to support you and give you advice. We can do all that, but its up to you to find a MAJOR FACILITY, with Doctors who you trust and believe in. The surgery wasn't as bad as I thought, its the waiting that gets you. Please keep us informed. Ginger

16 years 6 months ago #8540 by Zachary
Carmine, my friend, welcome to the club.

I wish that this club had more options for you, but I think you're going to find every second opinion is going to suggest the same treatment for you. At this time, a radical cystectomy is your best treatment. I had one last year when I was 49.

I'm going to write more tomorrow, but you're in terrific hands right now and despite what you're thinking, it's not nearly as bad as you think it's going to be.

You definitely aren't being foolish or in denial. But as you explore your choices and learn more about invasive bladder cancer, you'll see why a cystectomy isn't just your only realistic treatment, it's the one that has the best chance of saving your life.

A year after my surgery, I have absolutely no symptoms or limitations of any kind. No pain, nothing. I'm back to normal. Except with a very manly scar.

Dostoevsky defined man as a being who can get used to anything. I'll take it a step farther in this case. Not only is having your bladder removed something you can get used to, in a year you won't even notice it's missing. I don't.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 7 months ago #8536 by Patricia
Carmine...once the tumor has invaded the muscle there is no alternative treatment..cystectomy is really your only course of action. If you want yet another opinion you've chosen a great one with Johns Hopkins and i would recommend Dr. Mark Schoenberg as he has done some ground breaking work on nerve sparing surgery and hopefully you would be a candidate for that. He's most compassionate and a great surgeon. Hopkins ranks #1 in the country for Urology this year.
I'm hoping Zachary pops in here soon and a few of the other men who have no regrets...
Best wishes to you...there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne