Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)

14 years 2 months ago #30292 by rudyskier
Replied by rudyskier on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Say Duke: sounds like your about right on track. I am not sure about the hydration factor. I guess when I was about 1 to 2 months out I did not drink as much as I do now. Perhaps you are urinating more frequently now and will need to build up more volume capacity in the bladder over the next month or so?

I am just past the 3 month mark and can drink plenty during the day. I start backing off around 5-6 in the evening so that I don't have problems at night.

As for the bowel movements, I was all over the place as far as times when I was at 2 months, but now it is pretty much in the mornings after coffee. Sometime I go again during the day but not always. I have to push a little harder than I used to prior to the operation but it is really not a problem.

All in all after 3+ months I must say I am a lot more comfortable with my life style than I was when I had the prostate (was enlarged) and ran to the bathroom to pee every hour or so no matter where I was. Now I don't even think about it anymore.

Regards,

Rudy :lol:
The topic has been locked.
14 years 2 months ago #30291 by mmc
Duke,

Glad to hear things are going well.

The intestines are touchy. You have less of them now as well (around 20 inches shorter).

Some people keep a log book of what they eat and what kind of reactions they get, frequency of bowel movements, consistency, etc. Then they can control better through diet.

I like to eat most everything so I just deal with it and don't bother tracking.

It gets better over time but some things will set off your digestive tract for a while to come yet.

I've heard some have constipation issues but I've never had that particular problem. I used to be regular like clockwork, once a day in morning. Now it can be 2-3 times in the morning, again in the afternoon and again in the evening.

Sometimes normal, sometimes close to but not quite diarrhea.
Other days it is just once or twice.

That general discomfort can last (although reducing over time) up to six months. The walking and exercise helps though.

Remember, this is an investment in the rest of your life. Hopefully, that is going to be a long, long, long time and this six month period you are in now will be well worth the investment. I can tell you in my case, the return on investment has been a lot better than my 401K. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 2 months ago #30290 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Hello; Well i haven't posted for a while and today marks two
months since my RC-neobladder operation. It has been quite a
journey. Making the journey with the informatiom that i got from people on this site has helped a great deal. And i thank you all!
After two months I,m feeling pretty well. Dry during the day
and leaking a little at night. No big deal. Have been walking
every day, eating ok. Still having some discomfort, but no real
pain. I am having a little trouble staying hydrated, even tho
i'm drink as much water as i can. And still having some trouble
keeping my digestive track working well. Does this sound normal
for the two month point in time???
The first month of this journey was rather tough, but for the last month its gotten better every day, and I would have to say
i've been pretty lucky things have gone so well.
Thanks to everyone for your support and advice.
Duke.
14 years 2 months ago #30093 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Thanks guys; All of your advice has been right on. It's to bad there is not a better way to get more of the people that are
having bladder problems to this site!
Hey Mike; I use the pregnancy analogy all the time. If it was up to us men to have babies, the world would be a lot less populated.
Duke
14 years 2 months ago #30088 by rudyskier
Replied by rudyskier on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
:) Mike you were the one who originally told me you will not believe how great you feel after you heal up! You were absolutely RIGHT on the money!

I also agree that UCH was the place to go...
I go in for a check-up this coming monday and am expecting to get the OK to go skiing, I am really looking forward to that.

Anyway, have a wonderful time in Mexico

Kind Regards,
Rudy
14 years 2 months ago #30085 by mmc
Rudy,

Speaking of "I told you so", was I lying? Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Also glad you got down to the bladder cancer center at UCH! I think that has something to do with how well you are doing also.

Liz and I are off to Cancun tomorrow for some fun in the surf and some diving.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne