Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)

14 years 3 months ago #29734 by mmc
Duke,

It may not seem like it, but you are makeing GREAT progress!

Glad to hear things are settling down with the digestive tract. Antibiotics, in addition to all of the trauma and having 40-50cm of it removed, can certainly play havoc with that. Not sure if you got any probiotics for that (yoghurt or acidophilus) but that helps also.

Your neobladder control also is pretty darn good for this soon after getting the catheter out.

Takes a while to fully recover but you are well on the way!
Best of luck on your continued recovery.

Mike :)

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
The topic has been locked.
14 years 3 months ago #29733 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Way to go! Great attitude! Don't know if I could muster that much!

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]
14 years 3 months ago #29727 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
OK; Its been a full mounth since my RC neo bladder! My digestive track is back to near normal. Still not eating much, but i am eating. Still have some pain in midsection, have one spot that we are still packing to heal from insideout. But that's not a big problem. Time between emptying neo is just over 2 hrs. during the day. Two to three hrs at night with some leaking. Am I feeling great? No but i'm feeling okay, and getting better everyday. Would I do it again? To be honest I'm not sure. I probably would. There are not a lot choices. But i have to say; this is the third cancer i been through. And i will be the first to say I've been damn lucky to have three major cancers and still be alive. I have a lot of friends and loved ones who never had the chance to have a second. So i sure can't complain,and never have. But I do have to ask myself, how many more times will i do this?
If i was not feeling better, I'm sure i would not be this reflective. I'm sure in six months i may have a whole new perspective.
I do have to stop and think back over all I have gotten to experience over the past 20 years that have been given to me! It's pretty amazing. I'm sure that will be my view this time also. Duke
14 years 3 months ago #29687 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
After wearing out the floor in the house for a few weeks, I remember my first walk outside. My wife had gone to the store so I strolled out the front door, down the steps, and walked the 20 steps to the corner..........and "hit the wall!"
As I stood holding on to the street sign and wondering how I was going to get back in the house, a young man said "mister, are you OK?" He was skipping out of school, and was nice enough to help me back to the front porch.
I told him that I used to skip school and this is what happens if you don't go to school.
I think he went back and today he is finishing up his masters in biochemistry. (Or so I hope. He could also be the guy who stole my garbage can last week!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]
14 years 3 months ago #29685 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Hello Jim; As of a couple days ago i had lost 20 to 25 pounds.
But the good thing is in the last two days my digestive track is starting to work, so i can now eat a little more. On the plus side, i could stand to lose a little.
I also new going in that i have had this problem before with chemos, and surgeries. It is really good to be getting past it. One less thing to worry about!!
As far as getting outside; I live in Oregon, in the Willamette
Valley. Mostly raining out. I'm walking the house as much as possible. I feel the last two days I am turning the corner.
Thanks to all. Duke
14 years 3 months ago #29672 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Going in for neobladder Dec. 16 (Part 2)
Duke, How much weight have you lost? I lost 23 lbs after the surgery, but I was eating after 3 days.
You almost have a month behind you already. Do you live where you can get outside and walk?
As Rudy has said, walking is good. It also strengthens the pelvic floor muscles.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne