BCG Treatment Journey

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #61667 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Here's another thought, some hotels/motels have reduced lodging rates near medical centers.  The special medical lodging rates are usually not found on reservation websites; you should contact the property directly to ask if they have a special rate for guests receiving medical treatment at nearby hospitals. 

When Cynthia was receiving treatment at MA General in Boston, we were able to get reduced lodging rates for medical patients at two nearby hotels.

All the best for a successful outcome!

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 months ago #61665 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic BCG Treatment Journey
I did sign up for the rewards program at the chain I am staying at.  Good tip though!

1 year 2 months ago #61664 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
Hank,  Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  My only suggestion, not related to BCG, which ever hotel/motel you are using, sign up for the rewards program.  If you end up on my 3 year program, you might gather enough points for a couple of free nights.  Glad your treatments are going well, hope your outcomes continue.  Eddie

1 year 2 months ago #61663 by Alkamodaddy
Eddie, glad to hear you have the first course of 6 BCG treatments behind you.  I am praying your cystoscopy is encouraging news.  I had my second BCG treatment yesterday.  The instillation went smoothly, and I did my flipping around at the motel.  I have yet to experience the burning that I know is coming.  Probably the least favorite part so far is the insertion of the catheter.  I requested that they use the smallest one, and so far they have complied. Still not my favorite part, but I know it is necessary.  I now have 4 to go, and a cystoscopy scheduled for April 25th.  I appreciate your posts and hopefully others can learn something from the thread.  Good Luck!!

1 year 2 months ago #61662 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG Treatment Journey
6 down and about 21 to go. I had my 6th BCG Treatment yesterday. Everything went as expected. As in the past, holding it for 2 hours went well. I have learned how to moderate my liquid intake so I can get the full benefit from the treatment. The next 6 to 8 hours were pretty much as usual. Better than treatment #4 but not as good as treatment #5. All the urgency and burning was tolerable and again, after about 8 hours, things subsided as if nothing had happened. I hope that continues in the future. OK, 3 weeks away from a cystoscopy so the Doc can tell me which direction we are heading in. I will post my results and plan once she tells me. Keep pushing everyone, my prayers are with you all!! Hank, I hope everything went well on Monday. Eddie

1 year 2 months ago #61635 by Alkamodaddy
Hey, Thanks for keeping us newbies posted.  I had my first BCG infustion on Monday and was pleasantly surprised how smoothly the procedure went.  Before the nurse started, I asked that she use the smallest catheter she had and she stepped out and came back with it.  She was worried that it would take too long to infuse the BCG, but it turned out to not be an issue.  I experienced no burning sensation after the two hour wait.  I consider myself lucky for that, but thanks to Eddie, I kind of know that future treatments, I may not be so lucky.  I also bought the AZO and intend to use it if needed.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne