Robotic, laproscopic surgery

13 years 5 months ago #34929 by clueless
Replied by clueless on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
They are going to remove the bladder and prostate and use a piece of colon to create a duct for the urine... Sorry for my layman's expressions :)

After years of urgency and endless trips to the bathroom and carrying something to receive urin in the car, and now after the scraping getting up every hour to go to the bathroom, George is excited to have the whole thing gone.

He is doing well now btw, eating well and the only issue is the frequent urination. He's getting his strength back and I could barely keep up with him in the airport. :)

So, by the time the operation comes along I am sure he will be in tip top shape again and that's as good as it gets, I guess.
The topic has been locked.
13 years 5 months ago #34928 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
Robotic surgery is great in the hands of an expert...if the doc is
not an expert, not so much. You have chosen a GREAT place to have this done. Exactly what are they going to do?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
13 years 5 months ago #34926 by clueless
Robotic, laproscopic surgery was created by clueless
So we went to see Dr. Amling in Portland.

He suggests robotic, laproscopic surgery. Wants to do it in about 6 weeks.

He says George's overall good health makes him a good candidate for surgery, even at 81.

He is going to redo the lab report one more time and then schedule surgery.

The trip went ok, we flew out in the morning and back in the evening and that went without a glitch.

Unforunately I picked up fod poisoning and was sick as can be for a couple of days, hence the late report.

We both feel a lotbetter about Dr. Amling than we did about the first surgeon. And - I hear robotic surgery is very good and minimalizes healing.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne