Robotic, laproscopic surgery

13 years 4 months ago #35494 by clueless
Replied by clueless on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
ok, apparently he made himself eat some stuff yesterday even though he didn't feel like it at all.

So in the middle of the night he had to regurgitate and he inhaled it and started having huge breathing issues.

Luckily they heard him and they tried to intubate through the nose and found he had a deviated septum (he didn't know that either).

In any case they have him breathing better now and they emptied all his digestive tract apparently. (this is as told by his sons).

He says he is now hungry but they won't give him anything and he is still in ICU.

I'm flying out early in the morning, got a ton of stuff to do before. I guess he won't be coming home any time soon...

We are talking on the phone and texting all day and he actually sounds better now than yesterday, and he says he feels a lot better too.

I guess even though he had a bowel movement, things are still shut down...
The topic has been locked.
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #35487 by clueless
Well, I find he is in ICU this morning.

They intubated him apparently to remove all kinds of stuff from his stomach and intestines. He was getting bloated and had no appetite, was gurgling and taking a turn for the worse.

I spoke to him this morning and he was still in ICU with a tube - said he felt better now and was hungry.

He thought he might have to stay in ICU for some time - no doc to talk to yet so I can't investigate. Have to wait til his boys get up...
13 years 4 months ago #35483 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
What a wonderful Christmas gift for you and your family! George is through his surgery and is feeling better! So glad for all of you. Also, glad George is moving bowels and seems to have nausea under better control. There is nothing like n+v after surgery so glad that is better. We are all here for you and hope you are taking care of yourself for when George comes home. Merry Christmas to you!
13 years 4 months ago #35480 by clueless
George is very chipper this morning, ate yogurt yesterday, no nausea, everything stayed down, YEAH!!!

Says he feels weak and not ready to come home - hopefully some more food will start picking him up a bit.

Was cracking silly jokes all morning... :)

Not sure what nausea meds he is on now, he refused the shots they were giving him, said they were at fault, took the pills and feels much better.

He doesn't remember the meds names, but looks like he is looking out and taking care of himself. His boys were with him all day yesterday and will be there again today.

Looks like I am getting my christmas wish... :)
13 years 4 months ago #35468 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
Bowels moving is a GREAT SIGN!!!!
Usually Zofran can knock that nausea. What's he on?
It is incredible how terrible messed up bowels can make one feel.
Mine didn't wake up for a loooonnnnggggg time (12 days in hospital after my neobladder surgery) and I felt just absolutely awful.

Soon, make that VERY soon, he will be feeling better and be VERY HAPPY that he had the surgery. It's an investment in the future.
What's a few days of nausea compared to years of life?

Merry Christmas to you and George!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
13 years 4 months ago #35466 by clueless
So far so good... looks like the bowel is moving although he hasn't had anything to eat yet. He had to vomit again last night and this morning and they are going to try different pills.

Dr. Amling says (caught him on the phone today) everything looks perfect. I like the way he makes himself available and listens...

George is chipper when not nauseous. However, when he is nauseous he wishes he hadn't had the operation, must be feeling pretty rotten then.

He is walking fine, just getting in and out of bed is painful.

Thank you guys for being here, it helps a lot to have a place to talk about this... and merry Christmas!
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne