Robotic, laproscopic surgery

13 years 6 months ago #34945 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
Just ask him right out...its certainly something we all ask..how many cystectomys do you do in a year...how many robotic......he shouldn't have a problem answering it. AND make sure HE is the ONE doing the robotic surgery not training a young intern.
Many will put that kind of information on their bio sheet but Dr. Amling has very little info on his.
You're the customer......
pat
The topic has been locked.
13 years 6 months ago #34944 by clueless
Replied by clueless on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
He will have a bag that needs emptying 3 times a day.

Is asking out straight the only way one can find out how many procedures the doc has done or are there records to look up someplace?
13 years 6 months ago #34939 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
One question you must ask is how many robotic cystectomys has Dr.Amling done. With this particular robot the only way they get experience is by using the patient as the guine pig. If he's done more than 50 ok....but do ask. At your hubbys age is he recommending a ileal conduit or a neobladder? You must think ahead as to what he might be complient with years down the road even though he's in perfect health right now.
I only mention that as i actually put that into my considerations as my formerly active robust father suffered a stroke at 82 after surgery and his short term memory was just gone. He would have never been able to remember how to empty and having to be in assisted living you're more likely to have someone willing to change an ostomy bag or cath an Indiana Pouch than try to cath through the urethra. Just a thought.
Pat
13 years 6 months ago #34935 by clueless
Replied by clueless on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
That is really great to hear, jimswife. At George's age the recovery worries me...
13 years 6 months ago #34931 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
I am sorry I agree with Sara Anne
13 years 6 months ago #34930 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Robotic, laproscopic surgery
I am glad to hear that you are at peace with regard to the doctor/hospital for the surgery. My husband had this surgery robotically back in August (he is 66 yrs old) and was sitting up in a chair less than 24 hrs post op. I agree with Pat in the hands of an experienced surgeon this is the best way to go, robotically. Keep the faith and know that there are a lot of us here to support you. This site has proven to be great for me! Best to you both, because it does involve you both, in the coming weeks. BTW, be sure to ask all sorts of questions as they come up. We had a couple surprises but they were answered quickly.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne