anyone dealt with "C DIFF " during RC recovery?

17 years 1 month ago #4570 by timb
I had a handful of infections but no C diff Mz. As far as I know. But i aboloutely had the diaorrhoea and very feverish sweats and temperature fluctuations coupled with zero desire to eat (or laugh!). Nobody actually named what I had. The diaorrhoea lasted about 5 or 6 weeks and I lost a couple of stone in weight and generally looked pretty grisly. I wish I'd taken some pictures now as it's all becoming something of a blur! Im glad you are finally feeling better. My hospital ward had a couple of neobladder recipients in there (UK) and the nurses seemed pretty skilled and familiar with most of what I was going through. The bowel stuff i just had to brave out really. I think I also did a lot of antibiotics in those first weeks. the infections started to improve when my final tube, the catheter, came out. I found probiotic drinks easy to take and gentle and healing on my bowel as I guess a lot of the flora in there had been messed with during the op and with the various concoctions they drip into you in hospital. You'll get there. I have and your experiences remind me very much of mine. I'm now at the 6 month mark and feeling pretty much like I did before the op again! There are a few snagging issues but Im feeling good and reasonably jolly!

all the best

tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #4568 by mznoregrets
Hi Friends....
   What a time it has been... We left Mayo's Wednesday - just 8 days out of R/C Neobladder. On Thursday night I started with diareah and fevers. By noon Friday I had to be admitted for C Diff, dehydration,  you name it and it hurt. I Came home yesterday with my own private pharmacy. Even had a cardio DR because my heart was also jumping around. I am feeling better finally. Irrigating every 6-8 hours , down to 12 pills a day from the 28 they had me on during the last hospitol admission.  Talk about having to fight for every inch of recovery...
    My question here , has anyone hee been hit by a "super bug" during R/C post op recovery? And if you did...did it affect your scheduled chemo? I had no idea such a bacteria as C Diff was even out there. I have been told I got a ways to go now before I can consider myself chemo ready. I have lost almost 20 pounds, but I am diligent in trying to eat calories and protein. Seems a bit much to me that pills has become almost a food group in itself.
    During the last admission I also was treated the urologist who originally dx'd me and did my 1st TURBT. I was nervous at first - he was very upset when I wanted a 2nd opinion on his BCG treatment plan. He has apologized to me  and told me he is glad I went with my instints. And he assured me he will gladly play ball with Mayo Drs. So I guess a relationship is also getting healing. I feel I can call on him to help me and it is comforting to know medical help is also locally available to me. During the last hospital stay I did not run into a single nurse or Dr who had experience with a neobladder. Believe me - I asked before anyone layed hands on me.Are we really that rare?
    Well, I have to get going for now. I am hoping to get some home help with the nursing dept scheduled today. Also getting my port installation scheduled. Love you all, Thank you everyone for all the prayers,  Holly :)

By the way...My final stuff from pathology = Grade 3 T3N0MX micropapillary urothelial carcinoma. The variant was confirmed at Mayo's. I have been told that when 1st scope was done in Dec and the doc saw nothing... that it was likely growing in the muscle under the healthy tissues and not detectable. I would just like to pass along this...If you have blood in the urine and a negative scope...push for a top notch facility please....they can identify this variant thru cytology from urine and make a quicker DX and this variant is also very fast growing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne