anyone dealt with "C DIFF " during RC recovery?

17 years 1 week ago #5016 by clur
Holly
Take a deep breath .
Just try and slow down your whizzing around mentally and physically just  reading your post leaves me exhausted.
1, Its great news you are getting some help with dealing with all this and just from communicting with you here its obvious you are normally a positive upbeat person  and who wouldnt be a bit depressed about our diagnosis.
2,Sleep is a fantastic healer and keeps you sane use pills or anything else to meake sure you stay rested.
3,In reality after the scan showing something on your lungs you dx was never going to be any different until they determine its not cancer would you really want them to discount it.I know I wouldnt.
4, The Mayo responses are to be expected they are just protecting themselves legally.
5,The leg thing sometimes nerves get bruised during surgery and it effects sensation and even function things usually improve in a few months quite a few people seem to experiance this.
You sound as is if you are doing fantastically well and you have really taken hold of making sure you get the best treatment.Which is great it scared me to death at the start that you were letting it run away with you.Now try and relax and trust the decisions you have made about the people caring for you.Chemotherapy is hard you need to keep focused on staying positive about it and plan something fantastic for when its over to give you something to aim for.
Take care and remember we are here
 Love Claire x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 week ago #5015 by mznoregrets
Hello everyone, hope all are doing well :)

Yesterday was beyond crazy - 3 Dr appointments, a lab and they changed the surgery to get the port...it is being done today rather than Friday and Monday is the 1st chemo. As I went to sleep afew things started nagging at me  - help me sort this out too?

First appointment was the shrink...I think it went well. She determined I am "situationally" depressed,  that it is a result of the dx rather than for no obvious reason. We didn't add any meds yet but she encouraged me to take the zanex as needed. I see her again on Tuesday.
  Then I met with an oncologist  - they aren't approved by my insurance and seriously distressed me over the financial aspects of treatment. I decided to scrap interviewing them as the mental stress would be monumentally counterproductive.
   Then I met with the oncologist I originally got set up with here....I aired about what had me feeling unsure about him and hopefully those probs can be avoided from now on. Afterwards I went home and called Mayo's to be absolutely sure we are ok...that is when I got these nagging concerns....
   I asked the Mayo oncologist to send the regiment for chemo so that I can be sure what I am being told here matches what they would reccommend. I was told these chemos are calculated universally according to a patients weight, that both would be calculating the same . I was not expecting that response. When I asked about the diuretics etc ( as I posess a new neobladder ) they said the local oncologist will determine these things. Again not the expected response. Fortunately the local oncologist is contacting Mayo to be sure if there are special considerations in the case of a neobladder patient. Why would Mayo's not prepare a regiment?
  Then I also asked about the dx - it ended up being Stage3N0MX after the cysectomy. I wanted to know why the "M" had been left undetermined. Did we not do all the scans etc to verify no mets or what? I was told that all scans/tests had been done. That the reason mets is undetermined is because of the nodule in my lung. Next month they will do another scan to see if it has grown and verify if it is mets. I was stunned...they ledme to believe it was a scar and not to worry, the fact they even thought it might be mets was not clearly expressed before. Then I was told if it is mets, that I will be stage 4. Bring on the zanex and try sleep thinking bout that.
  So the zanex has wore off and I am trying to feel less freaked out. I guess the only thing that has changed is my understanding but it sure has me distressed.
   As far as my RC recovery...I am almost done with the vancomycin...c diff seems to be dissappearing. The past 4-5 days without Bentyl have helped me feel the prompts to hit the bathroom...not always sure for what but I get a clear message something is going to happen. The yougurt and probiotic drink have helped so much that my hubby has decided it should be good for him also :)My incision has healed up well - I am wearing my jeans and clothes pretty much.My right leg is really screwed up tho. When I walk I can basically control the leg. But if I have to move quickly I have little control over it and I stumble alot. And I have to physically pick it up to get it on the bed, in the car etc. The inside of the thigh and the back of the thigh don't feel right. It has been this way since the surgery. After the surgery I was told it was likely due to the position I was in for the surgery. Last week at Mayos they said it may stay that way. Anyone else had such a thing?
  Take care all - you are in my thoughts and prayers, Love Holly

17 years 2 weeks ago #4978 by clur
Hi Holly
Great news I really think if your having chemo the port will be your friend.You could almost see the nurses sigh with relief when the saw mine it makes life so easy.
You will get there if I can come out the other side then you can and keep in touch post,pm, email anything you have done so well to get where you are you will be fine.
Take care Love Claire xx

17 years 2 weeks ago #4973 by Patricia
Hey Holly.....didn't they give you the protocal for the gemzar and cisplatin at Mayo?..If not get it from them ...memorize it...and have your oncologist follow it to the T. Thats what the doctors from Indiana U. (who discovered the cure for testicular cancer) did with my son and they even recommended the oncologist here in town. Just keep a watchful eye....ask each time they bring you something what it is and the dosage....keeps them honest and they don't mind. They treat a lot of people and i don't want to scare you but one time a nurse came in with the meds for the person next door to my son. He told her it wasn't for him...she insisted it was...she went out to re-check ....and came back with great apologies......so gee aren't i the cheerful one?.....You've been a good advocate for yourself so far. Just a heads up!!
Aaaah yes the crampy feeling....when i first got it i thought i was in labor...BIG CRAMP......we finally figured out that the nurses were telling me to drink too much water...it was spurting out of my stoma...kind of hysterical when i think about it now. The doctor said "Drink what you've always drunk"......good advise...it worked.
I think by the way that you're doing fabulous......i didn't even go near my computer for a month....i was still trying to stand up straight!.................Pat

17 years 2 weeks ago #4968 by Rosemary
Hey Holly,

Hang in there, kid.   You've already come a long way.

Also, if you can get your head on well enough to concentrate on taxes (in the midst of what you are going through) then I really take my hat off to you.

You are doing all the right things. I appreciate your keeping in touch with us. Thanks a bunch.

Take care, Buddy,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 2 weeks ago #4965 by mznoregrets
Hello Claire( and Pat, Rosemary, Wendy,Ann and everyone),

You friend have once again helped me immeasurably....I been in a freaky haze - and trying to get my breath and a few marbles back after this surgical ride and the 2 c diff side trips. But when I saw your latest post....I suddenly realized that this fight is not yet done so I got my butt in gear. Tomarrow I get with the surgeon who will install the port on Thursday or Friday. My arm is still bumped over and scarred up from just the surgeries and c diff, the port is needed. Then on Wednesday morning I meet the shrink and hopefully get on a mentally stable path that way. In the afternoon I will make a decision on which oncologist I trust most so we can get this chemo done too. ( The oncologist I met with before the RC has let me down in too many ways too mention and when it comes to dropping the ball medically - I am not too forgiving). Finally been able to back off on the bentyl....and I was able to identify twice the new "cramp" feeling ! Thank you for waking me up, you truly are the best friends a girl could have :)

Love, Holly
PS We even have an appointment to get our taxes done on time - LOL

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne