anyone dealt with "C DIFF " during RC recovery?

17 years 3 weeks ago #4799 by Patricia
Happy Easter Holly......don't worry about the muucus plugs....they'll continue until your new bladder gives up on the idea that its still not an intestine...you shall overcome. You'll have to cath with a saline solution ..about 30cc's each time you cath for a while as that breaks it up and reallly its amazing what comes thru those catheters. I actually did a one time projectile muucus missile thru that tiny little cath.....truly amazing. I'm laughing now ...but at the time i wondered if "Hal"(my nickname for my new bladder) was ever going to have any respect for me at all!
As a sidenote...i found that Ativan (same class as Xanax) kept away night sweats..so i still take it on a regular basis. I'm one of those people who is going to have night sweats until i'm 103 if i last that long.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you at Mayo....and hopefully they will do the port there. I can't think of any reason why they would not? And i'm sure you'll be with one of the stoma nurses...ask her about getting different kinds of caths. I always keep more than one kind on hand in case one decides its just not in the mood to go in...i have a more rigid one they gave me at the hospital...and a softer one thats more flexible.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 weeks ago #4798 by Rosemary
It's good to hear from you, Holly

At some point, it may feel like a good idea to not refuse the meds.  I know how bad depression can be.
30 years ago, I had to take Elavil for two years to deal with post partum.   The Elavil was a life saver.

I'm sorry your brother didn't make it to you.  It sounds like that was a big disappointment.  

Take care.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4797 by mznoregrets
Thanks Ladies,

I went thru surgical menopause a few years back and I was not a candidate for hormone replacement. The Dr did want me on an antidepressant then - tho I refused. At that time I think I chose right - I healed and kept my sanity! The hot flashes, night sweats and the like were indeed overwhelming but no pills exist to help with out a cancer risk....so I did without.
I can admit I get freaked out a bit since my dx....I wonder if I'll get to be here next year to do eggs with the kids, so I find the energy to have as few regrets as possible. The zanex helps when it seems to steal my breath and my marbles at the same time.I am an upbeat person yet I usually I can keep reality front and center with good balance. I know this disease is unpredictable... I had 2 TUR's 1/31 and 2/14, yet at RC on 3/13 they found it made it thru the bladder wall in another place. No positive nodes so we are mopping up and I am getting back to real life as fast as I can.
As a matter of fact, we are heading to Mayo's Rochester this very afternoon... Tomarrow I amscheduled for a cystogram and some other labs, also get cath out, and see the Oncologist there for the game plan. I still get frequent mucus plugs and I consume atleast 100 0z a day of water, jusice and nocaffinated beverages. What happens if I still get plugs? Freaks me out... Iam hoping they get a port installed while I am there....I really do not want locals here to do that - hell - the nurses here can't even put in an IV that will last more than 20 hours before it is toast. HMMMM sounds like a good day for some xanex huh? LOL
Well, My brothers family didn't make it here. The transmission conked out on the 7 hr ride. Thanks to law changes since Sept 11 attacks - I could not even pay for a rental vehickle for them to pick up. I cried and am taking Easter baskets with today...we will be within a few hours of them at Rochester... oh well...
Love you guys and gals :) Will let ya know how Mayo's goes.....Holly

17 years 3 weeks ago #4750 by clur
Hi Holly
Been a bit lax on repling lately with one thing and another.However its great to hear that you seem to be doing so well and sound really positive.If you do feel like you need some help with coping psychologically ask for it but make sure you get given somehing that doesnt slow you down too much as some treratments slow healing too.
I have had sleeping tablets a few times during the last few months first of all whilst waiting for treatment and then a few times when I was having chemotherapy and struggling to sleep.They helped me rest and sleep is the best healer. Sorry I have no idea what I weigh in lbs.
Take care of yourself and have a lovely Easter holiday with your family.
Love Claire x

17 years 3 weeks ago #4749 by wendy
Hi Holly,

Glad to hear from you, and you do sound upbeat. I know from experience that it's common to keep a brave face while actually feeling quite scared. The most important thing is that you get enough sleep. If you are having any trouble sleeping definitely get something to help, xanex is popular these days, but I've always used old fashioned valium. Had it by my bed all these years, sometimes i"ve used it daily and then go for weeks without, never had any problems stopping it. Plus, I need 20 mgs to get any kind of needle (phobia) or nasty procedures done. It is surely possible to have such a drug around and not get addicted.

I used antidepressants for about 5 yrs, and they helped, especially in the beginning. I think it gave me extra courage to get through things I never thought I could (that medical phobia stuff). I switched from Prozac to Effexor, because Effexor helps hot flashes and I'd been put into instant menopause. It actually did help. But then it was near impossible to quit Effexor, and I was very sick for about 8 ,months after stopping that one. So..be careful if you choose an anti-depressant that you don't start on on the ones that are nearly impossible to get off of.

You would be far from alone in needing some 'pharmeceutical assistance' during cancer treatments. It's such earth-shattering stuff!

17 years 3 weeks ago #4744 by Jmema
Holly,
You sound like you are doing so well in just a few short weeks. Just take it one day at a time and get plenty of rest.
My best wishes to you and yours for a happy and blessed Easter.
Blessings....Jean

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne