surgery over

16 years 8 months ago #7210 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic surgery over
And it's great that he hasn't had to have morphine....he'll recover more quickly. Watch out for that epidural, though. My husband's came out early, because he accidentally rolled it up when he tried to move himself up in bed. But, it worked out, because his bowels woke up earlier because the epidural was out.

Many kudos to your surgeon if he got up and out that soon! Keep us posted.

Stephany in Iowa (now caring for a husband 8 days out of surgery---and eating my cooking again!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #7209 by D61
Replied by D61 on topic surgery over
Good for the hubby and our best to you lady,
no doubt it is tough on those waiting 'us' out.

The walking is not a minor thing,
the more he does the quicker he'll go home...
and the better he will feel.

BTW,
the nose tube thing...for me anyway,
was almost as bad as it gets.

The constant rub against the esophagus left it bruised and feeling as if it had been cut...really. Took several days to even begin to feel better after being removed.

But,
before you know it, he'll be back home with you,
expecting better 'service' than he's getting at the hospital...
Ya know how we boys are about being taken care of... ;D

16 years 8 months ago #7207 by New2This
surgery over was created by New2This
My husband had his cystectomy yesterday and has the ileal conduit. I didn't see him from around 8 am until around 3:30 p.m. We saw the doctor around 2:30 p.m. so I think the surgery was around 6 1/2 hours. That is just a guess at this point. Anyway, he walked the hall a couple of times today and sat in a chair for a couple of hours and has not had to use the morphine yet. He had an epidural. They clamped the nose hose this morning and he has had no nausea and his stomach is gurgling so they are planning on removing the nose hose on evening rounds and start him on clear liquids. So I think this all means he is doing well. We won't know path reports for a few more days.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne