surgery over

16 years 8 months ago #7252 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic surgery over
Will do that Rick. Thanks for the tip.
He did get the tube draining the abdomen area out this afternoon, but no clear liquids yet. Hopefully tomorrow. A little step every day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #7245 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic surgery over
Congrats to your Hubby and to you.

Since I have had my ileal conduit about seven weeks ago, I have one recommendation. When you meet with the Urostomy Nurse, get as many different kind of samples of pouches (the sticky part) as possible. I have tried at least ten different size and shapes.
Also get at least two of each. A couple of times the first pouch of a specific type failed with my body. However, the second time it worked great (my mistake the first time).

Hollister sent me nearly every model that they had. Hollister also knew the distributors that worked with my Insurance Company to minimize my cost. I actually gave them the wrong insurance company the first time and they set me up with a specific distributor. When I realized my error, they set me up with a different distributor (I was glad to see they just didn't promote their favorite distributor).

Good luck

Rick

16 years 8 months ago #7232 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic surgery over
Thanks for all the comments; it's good to hear from veterans. He did not get his nose hose out until this morning about 6:30. My husband agrees that the nose hose is pretty annoying and irritating. And he has had to use the morphine a couple of times now (once after they took out the nose hose). I watched it come out and it was pretty gross. They also told him to use it about 20 min before he walks, so he will. They mentioned getting the epidural out this afternoon (maybe this will help too as it did for Stephany's husband). They also mentioned taking out the tube for ileo today. He hasn't "passed gas" so no clear liquids yet and hopefully if he gets to walk more today this will happen as there are more rumblings. Things are progressing quickly and hopefully will continue to do so smoothly too. We think Dr. Bermejo did a great job and the staff has also been very good.

16 years 8 months ago #7220 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic surgery over
Glad to hear things went so well. You are no longer "new to this", and neither is your husband now, you both qualify as seasoned warriors.

Here's to a friendly pathology report.
Wendy

16 years 8 months ago #7214 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic surgery over
so glad everything went well down in San Antonio and your husband is responding so quickly. ....Pat

16 years 8 months ago #7211 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic surgery over
Wow--your husband is making great progress. After my RC I was three days in intensive care, and didn't walk until day four.

All-in--all that is a terrific report.

I hope things continue as smoothly.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne