surgery over

16 years 8 months ago #7333 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic surgery over
I did stay with him at night (one of those fold-out not too comfy chairs) and was able to return to the hotel for showers and meals. Since he only had to be in the hosp for 4 nights, it wasn't too bad.

He takes one pain pill every 4 hours right now. If it wasn't for the scrotum thing I think he would actually feel pretty good. What about ice packs for it? Is this a no-no? I got him a cup and it was the wrong size too, so I will try another one. I know it will take a lot of time to get over this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #7329 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic surgery over
Yes, the scrotum is a bit of a "problem." When I mentioned it to one of the residents, she said, "You know, we never can fully prepare the patients for that." Which was an understatement :o

You could purchase him an athletic supporter....a band of elastic around his waist, with a soft fabric cup, to support it when he walks. The hospital gave my husband one, but it wasn't big enough (around his waist, I mean), and he didn't wear it, but he sure wanted to! Walking was NOT easy with that hanging between his legs.

Then, the residents gave him a dose of Lasix (a diuretic) and things got better. He not only started to loose water there, but also was able to fit into an armed chair, which had not been possible. He evidently was retaining water all over his body.

But, as posted by "fearandfight", that, too, will pass.

You're doing really well, it sounds like. How much pain meds is he on now? And did you stay in the hospital with him?

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 8 months ago #7328 by New2This
Thank you Joe. Anything to help us deal with this is appreciated.

16 years 8 months ago #7327 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic surgery over
Congrats to you and your husband sounds like all is well. The swelling you are
talking about just part of the surgery that will disappear in a couple of weeks,
I had that swelling after my surgery also and did not notice it till the wife said
something lol. I told her you better treat those fellas with TLC lol. Good Luck To Ya's-Joe

16 years 8 months ago #7325 by New2This
Friday morning my husband was able to eat his eggs, a biscuit and was told that if he did not have any nausea and could take oral pain medicine without problems, that he could go "home". The epidural was removed during the morning and the IV also. He took his first real shower which was wonderful. He's, of course, very tired after doing those type of things. He was able to eat a pretty good lunch too. The stoma nurse came by in the afternoon and we had that training. The surgeon came by and said he was doing very well. He was dismissed about 4:30 p.m. We are staying in San Antonio for several days to be near the hospital and doctor, since we are about 4 hours from home.

I think my husband's main problem at this moment is the swelling of the scrotum. Any suggestions/comments dealing with this would be appreciated.

16 years 8 months ago #7257 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic surgery over
Wow! You're going to be home before you know it....and cleaning drains and TED hose, and all the rest. Don't hesitate to watch the nurses and residents do their stuff, and then try to do it while they watch and give you tips. You'll be glad you did when you get home!

What did it for my husband's bowel sounds was when his roommate ordered a pizza.....the smell made his whole digestive system sit up and take notice (he was in a combined ortho/uro ward and shared a room with all orthopedic patients, some of whom were in a LOT of pain.)

Good luck to him, and tell him we're all rooting for him.

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne