Checking In

13 years 2 months ago #36350 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic Checking In
Hi Patricia, Thank you for the information. I will log on to USC and see if we can get another opinion. Maybe if my husband sees that the UCLA doctors aren't the only ones that have the same diagnosis, maybe he'll finally see we're all just trying to save his life.

Rayn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36349 by LoveMyHusband
Hi Catherine, thank you so very much for your input . . . that's exactly what we're going to do; get another opinion from USC as Pat suggested. Our insurance doesn't cover it because it's outside the VA but we'll figure something out.

I talked with my husband about this and he doesn't want to do anything until we get the results from the CT scan he took today. We'll get it next week.

Whatever the CT scan shows, I'm still pushing for a Cystectomy because the UCLA doctors have been saying he needs to have it out ASAP, so whatever this VA doctor is thinking, I don't care. We don't have anymore time and to risk putting it off is ridiculous.

Rayn

13 years 2 months ago #36346 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Checking In
If you really want the best and most accurate opinion head over to USC/Norris
www.uscurology.com
4 main bladder cancer doctors there listed in the best docs in the US.....Daneshmand, Gill, Boyd, and Skinner.
They won't waver and they won't make a mistake. And they're all really nice. Dr. Gill did my cystectomy laparascopically.
Hope you have insurance that will cover.
pat

13 years 2 months ago #36343 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Checking In
Hello Rayn... I've been following your posts and all the turmoil over what to do this is causing for you and your husband.

I agree with Pat... seek advice outside of the VA system. I know they are consulting with UCLA experts, but if this doesn't get resolved soon to your satisfaction, get a third opinion from a different major center that is highly rated for their bladder cancer treatments.

Scanning with any type of radiation every three months for an indefinite period of time should be a non-starter. I can't believe a doctor would recommend that as an option.

Let your better judgment guide you and I hope you get a plan in place soon.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

13 years 2 months ago #36342 by LoveMyHusband
Woman after my own heart :) That's what I was thinking . . . a CT scan every 3 months for what? 2 or 3 or 4 years? By then he'll have skin cancer or lymphoma just from the radiation alone.

The VA doctors are inept at best. They don't have the right information and every 3 months, they're rotated, so we won't have the same doctor in another month or so and the doctor coming in will have yet another opinion.

We'll see what this CT scan shows, but I'm going to try and convince my husband to go through with this ASAP

Best regards, Rayn

13 years 2 months ago #36340 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Checking In
listen to the doctors that they've brought from UCLA....they have a lot more experience than the VA with bladder cancer....the VA is a disaster with bladder cancer unless they're headquarted across the street from a major bladder cancer center and they can bring in an expert.
a CT every 3 months? Really....well if he doesn't have cancer he will........
Tell him to get his head out of the sand!
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne