Update on...well... me

15 years 9 months ago #19877 by Sam91403
Replied by Sam91403 on topic Update on...well... me
Good luck, Zach. We are thinking of you and hope things go smoothly. It sounds like you have a good plan.
Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19876 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Update on...well... me
Sorry to have been out of touch, but to tell the truth, I've been trying to not think about BC much before my new chemo regimen begins.

Which is tomorrow. I check into the hospital at 10am for three days of what they call ITP chemo. The "P" is cisplatin, the "T" is taxol, and I can't remember what the "I" stands for. I've purposely not read too much about it because I have to do it and I didn't want to give it too much thought before it actually begins.

If it works to shrink the tumors that are affecting my intestines and digestion, I'll have this chemo protocol every three weeks for the rest of my life. Or until I decide to quit. Everyone is very supportive and emphasizes that the choice of when enough is enough is mine to make. I learned a new term today: Morton's Fork . It's kind of like that.

I'm glad to tell you that everything else is fine. No pain, the doctor actually wants me to eat ice cream and cheese cake (for the calories), and Heidi and I have taken some really beautiful drives this week. My ipod is loaded with music, I'm bring a dvd player, and friends are coming to visit me every day I'm in the hospital.

Not too bad, considering.

I'll let you know how things went later this week.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

15 years 9 months ago #19662 by dmartin12358
Replied by dmartin12358 on topic Update on...well... me
Hi Zach,

Like everyone else, I was very saddened to hear your news, but you continue to be an inspiration!!! I spend most of my time over on blc Webcafe email list so I didn't find out until very recently.

Best wishes, my friend, and I'll simply wish you everything all of these other great folks have wished for you!!!

Dan

Dx 7/04, CIS + T1G3, Age 50
2 TURBTs
12 BCGs
Cystectomy 8/05 USC/Norris
So far, so good (kow)

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19414 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Update on...well... me
I just told Angelo what you said:

"And please remember this--they may give you six months, but you don't have to accept their offer....."

You are so right...we are almost at the year mark!

He said to tell you that it is just an "Estimate" and you know that estimates are never what they tell you either!!!LOL;)

So glad you are pain free, and feeling well!

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19412 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Update on...well... me
Zach,
Thanks for putting your picture up, your much better looking than your lab, although ITS CLOSE,same picture I have on my frig,,,,of you and Heidi!
Thats a wonderful attitude, they can say what they want , but you have many people praying for you, plus as I said "no one knows everything. Heidi is taking good care of you I know, and if we have anything to say about it you will be here for a long while,,,,,Loveingly, Ginger and Gene

15 years 9 months ago #19411 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Update on...well... me
To everyone else, thank you so much for your kind words and advice.

I'm actually, believe it or not, doing pretty darn well. The nephrostomy tubes bothered me a bit at first, but now I hardly notice them. I have no pain to speak of--I've taken a grand total of one Advil since I've been home, and that was the first night.

And please remember this--they may give you six months, but you don't have to accept their offer.....:)

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne