Update on...well... me

15 years 9 months ago #19100 by Renee
Replied by Renee on topic Update on...well... me
Hi Zach,
Although we never met, it seems to me that I have got to know you through your responses as a moderator, and maybe that is why I am so emotional. (my tears are flowing freely while writing this response).

You're such an optimist and your humour is unbeatable. I truly admire you for that. I remember when Wendy suggested you as a moderator and I was all for it because I always enjoyed your responses. I secretly envied you at times when I was struggling with my responses.

The coming time will be a time of turmoil, but also a time of reflection, enjoyment, peace and love. And maybe you're able to finish your book project.
Of course, your God is a procrastinator...he has to be.

I hope your chemo will give you relieve and I hope it will benefit you.
I will be thinking of you a lot, and also my thought will be with Heidi, as I was in her shoes almost 2 years ago.

Take good care,
Renee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19099 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Update on...well... me
I'm at a loss for wise and comforting words. I am sending our very best wishes for peace, successful shrinkage from Chemo & the continued strength to complete everyting on your list. You are in our thoughts- Lorrie

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19098 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Update on...well... me
Hello Friends,

I've never believed in sugarcoating messages with adults, so I'm just going to post the very honest and upfront email my wife sent to our friends when we returned home from Norris last night:

Dear Friends,

We are back from almost a week at Norris Cancer Hospital at USC. Zach is very happy to be back in his familiar surroundings, Labs & kitties at his service, a bounty of fresh produce and eggs in his backyard. He had a fresh peach from our tree and a little cottage cheese for breakfast, his first "meal" in a week, and commented that if the food was like this in hospitals people might actually get better :)

I will go into some detail here to answer what are probably the more common questions about what's going on.
Zach's cancer has returned in a very fast and very ugly way. He has metastasis in his intestines, lymph nodes and bones at this point. The small tumors in his intestines have caused peristalsis to be interrupted, which has caused a chain-reaction of trouble. The worst problem was the blockage of his kidneys and a raging blood infection.
He had a procedure called a "nephrostomy" which will help his kidneys eliminate urine. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrostomy)
He is on a 2 week regimen of antibiotics. Once the course of antibiotics is done, we will start chemo, the intention / hope being that he will actually feel better by shrinking the tumors, particularly in the intestine. There is a chance the nephrostomy tubes can be removed if things go well.
The chemo is an in-patient regimen; 3 days in the hospital every 3 weeks and we will be able to do that locally / Cottage Hospital. He can do this as long as he feels there is benefit, and he can take a break when he feels like it. While the doctors are always reluctant to give timeframes, based on the pathology of his original tumor, and the timing of this recurrence, they think we are looking at roughly 6 months.
We plan to close the business. I will work on that in small doses so that I can be at home as much as possible. I'd like to encourage everyone to feel welcome to visit; my cell # is the best to call to make arrangements. Email works best for me for most communications; I will be checking it often as it's quite easy to do from home.
As always, we are grateful for love, support and prayers. All our love –
Heidi & Zach

Of course that six months is a guess, but if they're right, it will definitely cut into the upcoming season of 24, which I've been looking forward to. I've also been saying a book project I've been working on would be done in six months, and that was a year-and-a-half ago, so really, as they say, nobody really knows anything. If God created man in His image, then, at least with my God, He can be a procrastinator when it suits Him. Let's hope so.

If you're curious, the chemo regimen is called ITP (ifosfamide, paclitaxel, and cisplatin). I'm going to try it if my kidneys cooperate and if it makes me feel better. This is an odd situation to be in--my condition is such that they are actually using chemo to make me feel better.

That's all for now. More later when I get some strength back.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

15 years 9 months ago #19043 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Update on...well... me
Zach,
Prayers are with you and your family. Please do keep us posted.
Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19027 by Renee
Replied by Renee on topic Update on...well... me
Hi Zach,
I am so sorry to hear that you are not doing well. It must be frustrating and worriesome. I hope they can find out the cause and help you back to a more acceptable state of being. I hope you found someone to take care of all those loved animals, so that you don't have to worry about them. I wish you strength in the weeks to come.
Take care,
Renee

15 years 9 months ago #18906 by Sam91403
Replied by Sam91403 on topic Update on...well... me
Zach

We are thinking of you and wishing you well. Your unselfish help to all at this site has been a blessing. Good luck. We will be at Norris tommorrow for a 6 month check. We will try to beam positive energy up to you as we are on the clinic floor. We wish we could do more.
Sam

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne