Update on...well... me

15 years 9 months ago #19349 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Update on...well... me
Zach,

Thank you for the update...I am so sorry you are facing all of this...after reading your post I thought of a few things that have worked for Angelo as he had issues with his intestines and entire digestive tract, though not exactly what you have...

The first for appetite...he started on "Megace ES"...it smells like lemon-lime, tastes like dish soap, but I have to say his appetite has increased amazingly since he started using this drug...

He is also using "Reglan", and Zofran for stomach issues, and Miralax/and or natural senna to help him go...

I wanted to pass this information along to you so you can research them youself, and speak to your Dr about them if need be...

Angelo also started Cymbalta...I have to say it has help tremendously not only with the depression that this disease brings, but also with the nueropathy that the chemo caused...He was reluctant to start taking it, but he agrees now what a difference it has made...He explained it this way: It doesn't allow you to stay in that "Dark Place" that the mind tends to wander to...

As far as pain meds...if you are concerned about taking narcotics because the effects make you feel out of touch, the Fentanyl Patch is an excellent option...it is transdurmal, hence the effects are not as drastic as other narcotics...

You and your wife are in my daily prayers and thoughts, If either of you want to talk please feel free to contact me...

I hope that this message is not too forward, It is meant to bring some releif from some of the issues you are facing...

Wishing you Well,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19348 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Update on...well... me
Thank you to everyone for your kind words and wishes.

Most of life, as you know, is almost always two steps forward and one step back. For the last few months, though, it's felt like three steps backwards for every step forward. I was having a lot of digestive problems, couldn't keep anything down, and nothing seemed to make the complete transit in a reasonable time. If you know what I mean. That was how I ended up back at Norris last week for a lot of extensive tests.

As it turns out, there was an explanation after all. I had developed some tumors on my intestines that had effectively stopped peristalsis, which is the wave-like motion in your intestines that moves food down the line. They also discovered additional cancer in many lymph nodes and in several spots on my bones.

My kidneys were also very compromised (and the ureters also had some cancer), and I now have two nephrostomy tubes coming out of my back. These may or may not come out in time.

Right now we're waiting until I finish a course of antibiotics before seeing if my kidney numbers will support additional chemo. (Wendy--my previous cisplatin/gemzar was post-op). This form of chemo (they call it ITP) is three days in-hospital every three weeks. Provided my kidneys are up to the task.

The goal is the chemo really isn't to extend my life--although it may well do that--but rather to hopefully shrink the intestinal tumors so that peristalsis can continue and I can eat relatively normally. That really is the worst part--now that I have the freedom to eat anything I want whenever I want, my digestive system is so hair-trigger out-of-whack that I'm stuck eating very bland meals and I have no appetite.

I'll keep posting as things develop. Thanks for everything, my friends.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

15 years 9 months ago #19147 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Update on...well... me
Zach,
You have always been such an inspiration to all of us and you have faced your illness with such courage. I am hoping and praying for a miracle for you and Heidi. They do happen...we have all seen it....has to happen to someone,so why not you.
Blessings....Jean

15 years 9 months ago #19143 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Update on...well... me
What ghastly news to receive. I do home that you will be able beat those mets back to oblivion. This disease is so unpredictable. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 9 months ago #19140 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Update on...well... me
Dear Zach,

What simply awful news...I had wondered what was happening with you...I have found you to always be so encouraging and supportive and kind to others on this forum...now it is our time to rally around you with postive thoughts and strong prayer. And I'll talk to God about those animals of yours that need taking care of while you are away. All you best. Hugs. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 9 months ago #19116 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Update on...well... me
Hi Zach and Heidi,

Well... that's not the news we would like to hear from you.

Can you remind me of the chemos you've had already, that was pre-op, right?

You have done your homework, gone to the best doctors and had great care and advice, it just shows that there is no guarantee but we knew that. That's the first thing we're told when we agree to surgery etc.

That said, my father was given six weeks at his initial diagnosis of lymphoma, mets to lungs, but got another 18 months. I hear stories of cancers that go into spontaneous remission; I hear that some people survive 5+ yrs without any treatment.

If miracles can happen (and I think they do), let it please happen to you and Heidi.

Hugs,
Wendy
PS I dedicate a song to you and us all...on You Tube:
tinyurl.com/69fzcm ...or the You tube link:
www.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/my_videos_edit2?ns=1&video_id=2tY3lTJJLYw&next=%2Fmy_videos2%3Fpi%3D0%26ps%3D20%26sf%3Dadded%26sa%3D0%26sq%3D%26dm%3D1

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne