To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?

15 years 7 months ago #21064 by GEO
Mike,
I know this is really going to confuse your decision...but, here is my experience with my neo 2 months post-op. The surgury was a breeze. No problems or complications. out of the hospital in six days. everything went real smooth.

Now for the not so good. After 2 months I still have no control. Any movement the thing leaks and I can't stop it. I get up approx 4 to 5 times each night. I don't leak at night probably due to the number of times I get up. I still wont go out of the house due to this problem. I have to go to the bathroom approx 20 times a day so I don't have a major accident.I am having major bowel problems as far as constant diaherea and excruciating pain down there. I've been back and they have checked me for infections etc. It doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat. I keep asking the surgeon about it and he keeps saying it will get better. I was in good physical shape prior to surgury. Not over weight or anything. So far I have lost 26 lbs. and still dropping.

I actually did not make my final decision till the morning of surgury. I had three opinions from excellent surgeons from major clinics.
First Doc absolutely said don't do the neo.
Second Doc who I chose to do the surgury recommended neo due to my age of 51. This Doc does approximately 2 neo's per week.
Third Doc also recommended neo.

Many people have gotten thru this and are damn near back to normal with out any complications.

At this point I wonder how many people have had problems and just don't tell us about their situations. Right now I am so disguested I wished I would have gotten the Ileal conduit. I'm at my whits end. My surgeon had given me names of people to talk to who had neo's done. Naturally he gave me his success stories.

Maybe in another 4 months I will have a different opinion!

George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #21060 by danpeters
Replied by danpeters on topic To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?
I was diagnosed with invasive blc in December 06 at age 59. Since I was a 35 year Hodgkin’s Survivor I had a long time relationship with a medical oncologist. He recommended a surgeon that did neobladders rather frequently. To answer your first question, for me it was worth it. I had continence almost from day one. I was in the hospital for 10 days recovering from the surgery. I had no surgical pain. The surgery lasted 12 hours and I was unconscious another 12. Waking up in recovery with the breathing tube, 24 hours after walking into the operating room, was the worst part of it. A week later I had the Foley catheter removed and the surgeon couldn’t believe that I got up off the exam table and walked into the bathroom and peed without any leakage. For about a month if I lifted something or coughed hard I had a little leakage but I quickly got used to wearing a pad and when I played golf I wore a Depend, just for peace of mind. There were a few leaks overnight in the first two months but again a Depend worked fine. (I also kept a pad from the hospital on top of the sheet to save extra laundry but I rarely needed it.) I stopped wearing the Depends when the chemo ended (about six months after surgery.)

I choose the neobladder over other options for “quality of life” e.g. easier to travel with fewer supplies, could still take a leak in the woods on the golf course B) , etc. and for fear of infections. (Not that had I had any real experience with how any of the other options might affect my daily routine. So I guess it was a little subjective.) Learning to self-cath was actually very easy once I got over the thought of it. I still cath once a day to insure the bladder is emptying and more so to irrigate it with saline. I did have 2 infections in the first six months that each put me in the hospital. Greater care with the cathing and staying vigilant to germs (e.g., I’m never with a bottle of Purell.) have prevented any more infections. I still feel it was worth it.

I was the fifth neobladder surgery my surgeon did the month I had mine done. As with any surgery its best to find someone that does the procedure often, no matter what it is. The surgeon prepared me to wake up from the surgery with a stoma or other appliance in case I didn’t have a good piece of intestine that could be used to make my neobladder. (He had me sit and stand in various positions to mark the spot he’d use if he couldn’t do the neobladder.) Also I had the surgery before chemo, since with my history they felt I might not tolerate the chemo as well as others. (The radiation I received from my Hodgkin’s comprised my bone marrow making recuperation from chemo a tougher challenge.)

I started a cycle of Cisplatin/Gemcidibine six weeks after the surgery. No way to sugar coat it, the Cisplatin was brutal. Nine months after chemo and having no evidence of any cancer my scans showed some new nodes and since April 08 I’ve been on Taxotere every three weeks, a more tolerable treatment. In the beginning I embraced the notion that surviving this would be a physically and mentally debilitating fight but one well worth taking on. So, mental preparation is very important and information is power.

I was in a position to retire when I got the diagnosis so “normal” activities became far more leisurely than the 60 – 70 hour weeks I worked before. But within a month of the surgery I was driving, going out to dinner and the movies and shopping. Once the weather warmed up I was back on the golf course. I do get up at night, usually once, but have gone as much 8 hours overnight without leaking. There is no question cancer changes your life’s equation; but when push comes to shove I was pleased to learn how resilient and adaptable I was. I would make the same choice today, without hesitation. For me, the key factors were absolute trust in the surgeon and those who recommended him to me, open discussion about the choices with my wife, and assurance that except for the cancer I was reasonably fit and in good health.

Prayers for a good outcome and the strength to live with it.

Dan Peters
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danno

15 years 7 months ago #21059 by Dan62
When I went for my neobladder I wasn't sure I had made the right decision. After I came home form the hospital, I was even more uncertain. I was mostly incontinent, and thought I was going to stay that way.

Things started improving, and I went back to work after 4 weeks.

Now, after 6 months I am very glad that I chose the neobladder. I'm now 100% continent during the day, and 100% at night if I don't drink a lot of water before bedtime.

I've had no complications of any kind, and I have no restrictions on my activiites.

Best wishes,
Dan

15 years 7 months ago #21051 by mmc
No, I hadn't. I have now. Good information.

I guess I kept thinking neobladder to urethra. That's the part I think I can do without.

From what I was reading from some people, it seems that the neobladder has problems for the first six months or so.

Hmmmm. Lots of options and things to consider. The more info I get from people who have had the experience, the better.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 7 months ago #21048 by Patricia

15 years 7 months ago #21043 by mmc
Since my bladder cancer came back (and I can't do BCG) my expecation is that I'm going to have to make the decision on neobladder or stoma pretty soon.

My questions are:

If you did get a neobladder,
-Was it worth it?
-How soon were you able to regain continence?
-What are the things you think are important to know?

If you did not get a neobladder,
-What are the things you think are important to know?

In either case:

-What was the primary reason you chose the option you did?
-How soon were you able to resume normal activities?
-If you had to make the decision again today, would you make the same choice?
-What complications did you experience?
-Is there any option that would offer hope of not having to get up in the night?
-What do you wish you knew before you chose the option you did that you can pass on to me (and others on the forum) to help them decide?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne