To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?

14 years 6 months ago #28274 by Mike On The Bike
Replied by Mike On The Bike on topic To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?
Hi Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you when you e-mailed me a few months back. Long story !:S

Ok I've gone from being terminal this time last year, "don't start reading any long books" to being completely cancer free now. The chemo worked a miracle for me (GEMCITIBINE + CISPLATIN) and I went into hospital on Fri 13th March 2009 for a successful cystectomy. All the pathology tests came back negative for cancer.

I have a stoma and pouch and by and large its OK. I sometimes forget I have it on, which can lead to a few problems if I'm on a bender down the pub with the guys and forget to empty it more frequently. The pouch is gonna be a bit noticeable if you are into spandex stuff but it looks OK to me in jeans + t shirt.

Drop me another e-mail if you need any info and I'll do my best to respond quicker this time. I'll also drop by here from time to time to, when I'm not out having a great life, second time around.

Cheers, Mike

Never ride faster than your Angel can fly !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #27891 by mmc
Jim,

I started with the 14 French. Maybe that helped a bit.

I can go without cathing but it takes me forever and I don't get empty. It just saves so much time and hassle so I take the easy way.

Was a little wierd for me at first but I got used to it so it's no big deal for me at all.

Hope things go well for you!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 7 months ago #27889 by Humpy
Mike, I find cathing quite creepy, and uncomfortable still.
I wish there was a way I could get past this, because I need to keep doing this for 3 more months. I also find myself getting "hung up" along the way to the bladder. Maybe I am so uncomfortable, I am tightening my sphincter or something.
I can't believe you have to cath all the time only after a year.
But it sounds like your OK with the cathing.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

14 years 7 months ago #27888 by mmc
Wow Jim! You are certainly doing great for such a recent neobladder. Glad to hear it.

I'm now cathing most times I go because it takes too long otherwise and my neobladder expanded a bit too much because I wasn't getting empty when I went. Without the prostate in the way, using a catheter is a piece of cake though. I started with 14 and went up to 16 French (which works much faster and doesn't leave mucuous residuals).

Still worth it to me to have the neobladder. Fully daytime continent.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 7 months ago #27867 by Humpy
I Chose the Neo Bladder, and glad I did. It has been 4 months, and I did require a Cysto-ballon to reopen the urethra to the bladder due to scar tissue. Other than the mucus issues, I am nearly leak free by day, and getting better at night. Erections have returned, and have put them to use a couple times. I do have to cath every other day until the end of the year, to encourage the scar tissue to grow in not out. Not one of my favorite things to do, but a small price to pay to keep a good stream. I am cancer free, and looking forward to returning to playing hockey in a couple months.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #27180 by Alan
Just had to say Kudo's to Patricia & Warren and everyone else that contribute for all your many insights on our BC subjects. I lurk, listen and sometimes opine. Thanks!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne