To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #27178 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?
A stricture is an area of scar tissue that narrows the lumen (the hollow inside) of a tubular structure such as an intestine, ureter, or urethra. Since all surgery heals with scar tissue, it's not at all unusual for there to be some narrowing at the anastamosis (connection site) of two structures like a neo and the urethra. I'm sure that's taken into account in creating the openings that have to be attached together.
We've had a few members talk about strictures where the ureter connected to the neo requiring stents. I think I remember reading of one fellow who had a problem with stricture at the urethral connection, but I'm not sure since I suffer from CRS.
In any event, a stricture does not represent any form of rejection, but rather, overgrowth of scar tissue. Sleeper may even be describing scarring which completely obstructs the urethral connection to the neo. His situation differs from mine in that his scar is at a surgical connection. Mine is located in an otherwise healthy urethra. Since the penile urethra is quite flexible and mobile, it is possible to cut out the scar tissue and reattach the ends. If the stricture is too long, it can only be accomplished using a graft from the buccal mucosa (the lining of the cheek).
I don't know if a similar approach can be taken with this scar, but since the attempt to keep it open has failed, I would assume the only option is to remove the scar at the stie of anastamosis and at the end of the urethra and attempt to reattach them. Since I'm not a surgeon, I don't know if that's feasible or increases his chances of success.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #27175 by Patricia
It sounds like you had a stricture? Could that not have been rebuilt?
I know we have one gentleman on the site who has not had a cystectomy but has a significant stricture and they have tried to open it up many times but it continues to close up again. He is scheduled to have it rebuilt. Hope he replies.
Warren.you out there?
At any point i'm sure with time you will get used to your new revision. Many have actually chosen it and are very happy with it.
Pat

14 years 9 months ago #27174 by gijosephine
Replied by gijosephine on topic To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?
Hi.

Yes, They used a part of my large intestine to make the neoblader and attached to urethra. As I said, it worked perfectly for a short time on both attempts.

The second attempt a #13 (extra large) Foley catheter was left in for almost 2 months to keep the site open and stretching of that spot was done for 2 weeks after removal of the catheter. But within a few weeks it grew shut again.

Umm, I don’t think rejection is the right word here. By body simply grew shut at the connection site.

That connection is still intact but nary a drop has made its way out since before the last surgery in Jan- of this year to make the stoma.

I don’t mean to be negative here, the plumbing and skill was flawless but in at least 1 case, it doesn’t always work, lol.

this is where i need to be

14 years 9 months ago #27168 by Patricia
Sleeper....just curious. What connections are you referring to? Did they not use your own ureters and urethra? I've just never heard of a case of the body rejecting its own tissue and organs.
Pat

14 years 9 months ago #27164 by gijosephine
Replied by gijosephine on topic To neobladder or not to neobladder, that is my ?
Hi there..

I tried to do the neobladder so I could return to work.

It worked perfectly but sadly, within 3 weeks my body rejected the connections. After 2 attempts I gave up and the only option was urostomy.

It has taken 10 months of my life and around 1.8mil but I am cancer free. I just have to deal with it. I am not pleased with the outcome but I am pleased to be alive.

I do not know what the odds are that ones body would not cooperate but it is not something my team & I talked about before I set this path. Would I do it again? I honestly don’t know the answer to that. Knowing what I know now I would say no, just get the urostomy and be done with it.
But these kinds of decisions are based largely in hope. I hoped to maintain the normal functions so I could return to work and secondly to avoid the life changing reality of dealing with having ones bladder being on the outside of ones body and the 24/7 grind of one having to deal with and maintain somthing that God made automatic and for the most part out of our thoughts.

There is hope and I suppose I did the right thing by trying but it simply does not always work as advertised.

this is where i need to be

15 years 1 month ago #24718 by mmc
A condom catheter is basically a condom that has a end that you can connect to a catheter drain tube. Somtimes also called a Texas catheter or external catheter.

www.healthproductsforyou.com/catalog/displaylisting/20/19/20/0/0/ExternalCondom_Catheters.htm?gclid=CIusy9e1upkCFRlcagodQw247w

Great for sleeping through the night and being dry when you wake up if you do not have night time continence.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne