To much pressure

12 years 10 months ago #38000 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic To much pressure
Dana,

As we mentioned on one of your other posts, your husband is WAYYYYYYYYY ahead of the curve in terms of recovery speed. If he expected to come out the exact same and be fully recovered and continent in a few weeks, then he was certainly wrong and one would have expected that (besides things said here) his doctor would have explained something about the time it takes.

In the meantime, do be sure to take care of yourself. Since he's already better than most in terms of recovery, then he can certainly be on his own at home while you go out and do other things and get a break. You need to take care of yourself. As has been said by others, let friends and family help out. Get some time for yourself and time with your friends/family doing something fun for you.

There are ups and downs with this. While depression is a common issue after such a traumatic surgery and after having cancer in general, both are behind him for now. Sometimes, things are going so fast when you first find out you have cancer that the reality of it all may not even hit until after surgery and some recovery. Yeah, it sucks having cancer and yeah it sucks after surgery but both are done (hopefully).

Do speak with his doctor about the depression. Could be that some temporary medication can help with that. Could be meds aren't needed and he just needs to understand how darn well he's doing and realize that he's gotten the cancer thing behind him.

Is he still on pain meds? That can really mess people up in the head.

All the best!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #37999 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic To much pressure
Dana, all your friends on here are giving you good advice- you have both come out on the other side after a terrific trauma . difficult enough to cope with all the things going on in your life at the moment- but it is really important that you don·t burn out - don·t be afraid to ask for help,and take it, and try to have a little "me" time to recharge your own batteries.
Diane

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #37993 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic To much pressure
"he just wants to get up and go as if normal" Dana, if he is doing that well physically he is very lucky. If he can do all that, he would be ok to leave alone while you go shopping or whatever to relax. Sleep in different rooms a few nights to get some rest. There are people we have lost from this site, and others who have not came through this surgery nearly as well as your husband, who would love to have his problems at night. No one said this was going to be a cake walk for him. It takes time and a lot of patients, work, and pain. I have said it a hundred times " the caregiver has the toughest part of dealing with cancer". I have been through a number of cancers, but it scares me to death to think of being the caregiver. You can't do everything for him. Take some time to take care of yourself! It will be good for both of you.
Duke
P.S. Dana, I just went back and read some old posts, And like Sara Anne said depression can be a part of all this. It is probably a good idea to keep that in mind and not let it get out of control. As you both get more rest and the healing progresses i hope it will all improve. Hang in there.

12 years 10 months ago #37992 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic To much pressure
ah yes the sleep deprivation...for both of you. Unless he has totally depended on you to do all the research he should know this is part of the training period. He doesn't have to like it but he has to go through it and work himself up to 3 hrs and then 4 hrs. Some never gain complete continence at night but figure out how to deal with it. If someone told him a neobladder is exactly like your old real bladder they misinformed him.
Maybe one of the guys can give him a pep talk...they've been through it...will he listen?
Meanwhile if you have family or friends nearby ask them to come visit HIM....you take off. My kids were a bit older and i made sure they came and got my husband while i was in recovery and took him to a movie...anything to keep him from worrying about me. I was fine..just getting used to the new plumbing. Females are so used to being the caregivers that even when we are sick or recovering we are still the caregivers.
I wish i was nearby ..i'd take you to lunch!!
pat

12 years 10 months ago #37991 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic To much pressure
Dana, it is natural for both of you to be depressed and discouraged. Sleep deprivation is a big factor in this. You have gone through a lot, with the idea in the back of your mind that when the surgery was over the whole episode would be over. NOT

The good news, as you both know, is that he is as close to being cured of this cancer as it is possible for him to be. It will take a while to get normalized.

I don't remember how old your children are, or if they are located near you. Do you have someone...a relative, friend, male friend of your husband, who could come over and "visit" with him while you either take a nap or go out for a cup of coffee or even go to the grocery store, ALONE? You absolutely must take care of yourself or you will be a failure as a caretaker.

As for your husband, it wouldn't hurt to mention to the doctor that he is depressed...and, while not able to diagnose in person, I am sure that he is!! And then, be encouraging, empathetic, but don't encourage the bad feelings. Anything that can cheer him up, without his realizing you are cheering him up, will help. He needs to know, from others on this forum, that it will take months for things to become normal for him. He is already ahead of many others at this stage.

Remember, take care of yourself....even if it is a nap instead of getting the dishes done....and we are here for you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 10 months ago #37990 by Dana
To much pressure was created by Dana
I came back from hospital 2 days ago after my husband had surgery for a neobladder. I stayed with him in hospital for 16 days 24 hours a day. I feel totally exhausted and stressed. It is so much to deal with. While in hospital he had his ups and downs but towards the last week his attitude was positive and he was determined to get over this and live as normally as he could.
After coming home things changed, he has become depressed and moody, he just wants to get up an go as if normal, he wears a pad during the day and goes every 2 hours to the toilet. He had some accidents during the night, and now wears a nappy at night.
This is something he can't accept and just gets more upset.
This has taken its toll on me and I don't know how long I can handle it, everything is on my shoulders, the children, work, the household. I just can't get any rest, any ideas about what I can do (for me and for him),

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne