Attitude .

12 years 8 months ago #38885 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Attitude .
Grey....i know where you are. I've been there. When i was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer i just kind of took it in a stuporous stride ..did my research and got the best uro i could find after much research. I also had my sweet dear love of my life standing beside me allowing me to cry, cheering me up, just being there. When i lost him 3 yrs later my mind went blank..i was lost. He didn't deserve to die. I could not make any sense of it and i retreated to my bed for a few days and kind of hoped i would not wake up...but i did. So i painted...i painted walls, basement steps, an armoire?? (why did i do that?) I carried on conversations with my husband hoping he was listening. I felt so empty. Then i got breast cancer.......have no idea how i coped with that? Just did it but did it on my own terms. I'm not sure what my attitude is...i guess i am trying my darndest to get people to the right institutions and give them the right information so that noone has to fall into an abyss with this cancer. Its difficult to face an illness by yourself and i'm glad you've got Dot and if i was closer i would probably bring you macaronni and cheese or whatever to cheer you up. My cyber friends cheer me up so allow us to cheer you up. That sounds kind of corny but it works. Just keep talking.
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #38884 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Attitude .
Gray
Attitude is different for everyone. Some just look one step ahead and that is what gets them through the day. Some look far down the road and keep their chin up even when it's pouring down rain.
But normal people have constant change. Some days are bright and sunny and some are not. I am sure that EVERYONE here has had times of depression and then times of great joy. Sometimes all in one minute!
My heart goes out to you. It appears as though you are quite alone during this very painful time. It would help to reach out to your friends. Not to be a burden but to just have someone to talk to. I had friends that just couldn't call me because they were afraid. I called them. They were still friends, they just didn't know what to do.

We are here for you, but we cannot replace a REAL person.

I had a roommate at the hospital when I had my RC surgery. he had the Worst attitude in the world. The Dr. and nursing staff had a different attitude toward him than they did me. I left the hospital earlier than he did, by 5 days. Was it attitude?

PLease continue to ask these questions. They will help both you and us. Sometimes we forget the details and you need the details.

Our Best
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 8 months ago #38883 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Attitude .
And, if I may add my thoughts, Grey. Some of us are genetically prone to depression, plus the anesthetics and other drugs that we are bombarded with also contribute. It helps if you step back and remember that YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE DEPRESSED. This isn't a party!! If you can separate yourself somehow from what you are feeling (does that make sense?), sort of stand there and watch yourself from "outside," realize that it can be a normal response to stress, you will find that it will help.

After you succumb to the low mood for a little while, come back and take control. You will feel better.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 8 months ago #38880 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Attitude .
Gray you are going though a lot right now. We all have times that life really does stink. And sometimes it is about survival about putting one foot in fornt of the other. Sometimes the only answer is to get through the day. I can't change that for you but I will be here cheering for you if you don't mind.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

12 years 8 months ago #38879 by Grey
Replied by Grey on topic Attitude .
Great resonse .My attitude leaves a lot to be disired.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #38877 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Attitude .
The research is still out on that in the medical world. In the real world attitude is everything. Here we see all kinds of people who have all stages of this disease. I imagine it is the same for all kinds of diseases. Some people are tortured by it and become depressed. The cancer even one they should have done well with seems to wear them down and you wonder how well they are taking care of themselves.

I belonged to an online email support group early on in my blc journey. I meant a man named James,I will forever be grateful for having known him even for a short time. James was not doing well he had stage 4 and things did not look good for him. He found that it brought him happiness to take care of the newbies on the site to make sure we had what we needed and doing ok. He taught me so much about compassion, and yes attitude, to the end he worried more about others than himself and was truely a happy man.

Attitude is to tell you the truth all that has gotten me through this. I can put on my ipod and rock out as the put me under and crack jokes as they put a tube in my kidney. It would be much worse if I were depressed on top of it all believe me I know been there done that. But that is me I am lucky and have a strong support network both online and at home. There are days I have pitty parties but I work hard not to let them turn into a binge.

I think people that have a good attitude take better care of them selves and seem to do better mentally. It is common to have depression in the early stages people should talk to a health care professinal if negative feelings, drepression or hopelessness presist even a short time.

So I guess my ansewer is I can't prove that a good attitude changes anything but I do know it makes it a whole lot more bearable if you can find a way to have one.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne