Attitude .

12 years 7 months ago #38974 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Attitude .
Doug,

What pain are you having? You shouldn't be having any from the bladder at this stage.

Did you ever get your pathology report with the stage and grade?

Any other news on the melanoma?

I'm not sure about melanoma mets but I think that's pretty bad. If that's metastasized and nothing can be done, then I would guess I would understand your position on treatment.

However, bladder cancer that has not metastasized is VERY treatable unless one just ignores it.

Maybe for the benefit of others who will come to the site and read these stories later, you can fill in the details about the melanoma and mets and what the actual state of your bladder cancer is.

If the melanoma has not metastasized and the bladder cancer is contained in the bladder, then just getting pain meds (again--what pain?) is kind of like suicide by cancer. Ignoring cancer that CAN be treated and cured is kind of like standing on the train track but deciding not to move out of the way.

I'm guessing there is lots of additional information that we haven't yet seen, but based on what you've said, I just don't want people who read here later to get the wrong idea.

Sorry if I've crossed the line here but I just don't get it.

What I think I understand is:
-You were just very recently diagnosed with bladder cancer (but you don't know what stage or grade)
-Something showed up on the lungs but you don't know what it is
-You have had melanomas but don't know if there is metastasis from that or not
-You describe numerous classic symptoms of depression but claim to not be depressed (which is also a common claim by most people suffering from depression)
-You've decided that you are only going to get pain management as your treatment without even knowing your diagnosis or prognosis
-From the above, it sounds like you have chosen to die from cancer (even though you don't even know what you have yet).

Did I get that right? What am I missing?

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #38969 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Attitude .
Hi Doug... This is my little female Lhasa named Kiko. She just wanted to say hi to you and Dot!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
Attachments:

12 years 7 months ago #38968 by Grey
Replied by Grey on topic Attitude .
Catherine
Yep my friend is doing amazing ,havent been to see him yet as I wanted to give him a couple days to get setled back in.He has a Yorky that hasent left his side since he got home ,said his first nite home he slept better than he can remeber.probably go over Monday he only lives a few blocks away. And yes Im much relieved for him.
And living alone is a mixed bag, my brother says I research too much told him if the rolls were reversed he might have a differant attitude. Great young man well young to me he's 50,and is having probably a harder time than me accepting whats happening.
Saw my Doc Fri and told him for now Im not doing anything except pain management . See my regular Doc this thurs and am sure she will harras me . Gonna see if she will take over the pain mangement . If for some reason she doesnt want to he will keep it up,he wants to see me in 6 weeks . Seems there should be something to do for now except surgery guess not. My script is for 1 or 2 5/500 vicodin every 4 to 6 hours. So far ive only been taking 1 every 4 to 6 hours,not getting the pain completely gone ,Just a slight ache in the tummy and gets a little stonger when I have to void.which is any where for 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours that go's on 24/7 so sleep is at a premium so Im almost always tired.Guess maybe I will have to try 2 instead of one.
I will check in once in a while but dont really have anything new to say,just doin it a day at a time. Doug

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #38964 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Attitude .
Hello Doug (Grey),

I'm very happy that your friend's surgery went so well. My sister had bypass about 12 years ago, plus about 4 angioplasties in that timeframe, and she's still an amazingly active 70 year old grandmother and sports fanatic. She's gone with me 8 times now on my 300-mile drive to Vanderbilt for my followups.

I hope his good recovery has taken some of the stress off you and lessened your worries about him being able to help you out some during your treatments.

You remind me so much of myself in that you have your furry best friend for company. I love the picture of you and Dot. I have two Lhasa Apsos who make me laugh out loud several times a day at their funny little ways. They are 9 years and 13 years old and on many days, they rescue me constantly from my own worries.

I don't know about you, but I find that I have way too much time to think and over-analyze most everything when it comes to my cancer diagnosis and prognosis. Finding this site and having others to share some of my anxieties with has been such a huge help because before there was no one really to talk about it with. My family and friends do not want to hear me say that I have fears about the cancer returning, or that that is even a possibility. They just want to think the surgery fixed everything for good and that's that. That left me feeling very isolated for the six months between surgery and stumbling upon ABCS and these amazing people.

I do hope you stay plugged in with us even if you don't have any questions. Just check in to say hello, or see what funny comments have been posted by some of the regulars. Being able to find a little humor each day is such a saving grace during those times when our world looks humorless. Even "cranky" Mike is a pretty funny guy, and George cracks us up on a regular basis, along with several others. It's a weird place to find fun, but somehow we manage to do that too.

I see lightening out the window so I'd better get off the computer. Give Dot a pat on that cute little head for me!

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 7 months ago #38934 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Attitude .
Mike
I just want to say that if you are not a counceler of some kind you have really missed your calling. You say the greatest things, it seems like they are just what we all need to hear. Thanks, it makes me feel good too. Keep up the great work. And by the way you never came across as cranky to me.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

12 years 7 months ago #38924 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Attitude .
Great news on your friend. My hubby also had 5 bypasses and made it another 28 yrs. I remember the hardest thing for him to do was laugh and he was a big laugher...that's what hurt him the most but his recovery was phenominal.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne