Silly BCG Question

17 years 1 day ago #5160 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Silly BCG Question
Ok here's a silly answer....why not ask the uro if he does the BCG treatments on a regular basis. If not.......you know what to do........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 day ago #5158 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Silly BCG Question
Kim,

I've only had BCG's at the Urology Clinic here in my town. They have their own BCG's on hand. The protocol here is, I pee in a cup, they set me up on the examining table, but don't insert the cath until the Doc examines my urine with his own eyes :o Then, after they get the green light, the nurse caths me and prepares the solution. It takes about 15 minutes and I go home to wait it out.

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 1 day ago #5157 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Silly BCG Question
At my URO the nurse practitioner mixed mine after I was cathed. they do this just in case they cant for some reason get into the blader kind of sucked waiting there with that thing in my doda.While thye got the stuff ready. Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 1 day ago #5156 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic Silly BCG Question
Hi Kim: When I arrive at the hospital for my BCG, I get vitals done in urology, then go for labs (blood and Urine). When done there I hop on the elevator to the 7th floor Oncology Pharmacy, let them know I am there and they prepare my BCG...I then take it back to the urology clinic for instillation. My take on this is it is toxic and time specific. So if I should not show up they would have to dispose of as a bio-hazard as after preparation it cannot be stored. So I am thinking that at your Mom's Urologist office, they would have to send someone to the pharmacy after she arrived or have her pick it up and bring it with her....doubt a Urologist would have BCG preparations sitting around as it has to be mixed by a Pharmacist in a somewhat controlled environment. Also a nurse administers my BCG not my Doctor. They have a female nurse just for the women and a male nurse for the men....this works for me!

Not sure about the 6 weeks vs the 4 weeks....maybe someone else has experienced this one. Are they in contact with Sloan about her care? Your Mom will more than likely sail through BCG treatments, most do. Hope this helps and take care, Sandra

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

17 years 2 days ago #5155 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Silly BCG Question
I did not have to pick up BCG but I did have to pick up interferon, And it must be kept cold. Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 2 days ago #5154 by klau1973
Silly BCG Question was created by klau1973
OK. My mom is suppose to start BCG next week and her local uro who is administering the treatments just called to ask for her pharmacy #. Did anyone else have to pick up the BCG from their pharmacy and bring it to treatment. We are starting to wonder if this uro has treated very many patients with BCG. He mentioned to me on the phone that my mom may only need 4 sessions, but I thought 6 was protocol -- 6 is what Sloan ordered. Here we go again questioning things! Am I making more trouble for my mom than necessary.

Kim

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne