Silly BCG Question

16 years 11 months ago #5201 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Silly BCG Question
This is going to sound stupid...but i'm almost glad my bladder is gone!!......Geez the cure is worse than the disease. You girls much braver than i am!...........And Rosy...are we to assume it was a red thong you were wearing? :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5196 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic Silly BCG Question
Hi Rosemary:  I got a whole dose yesterday (my 8th) - and since dose 4 I have had the same side effects.  I am okay with the first void and then it's all over.  Within a few minutes I get the burning and urgency (like I have never known) and I sit for the next three to four hours either on or pacing very close to the Toilet (as sitting in a chair is uncomfortable).   During this time I void a drop at a time and it is getting worse everytime.  Yesterday after the first hour of treatment I started drinking water (consumed 1 pint) but then I could only hold the BCG for 1 1/2 hours.  I consumed another 3 pints of water the next 1 1/2 hours and did not drink cranberry juice as before (considering that it might be adding to the burning as it is acidic). I also have "trash" in my urine and I sometimes assume maybe this is the problem - it blocks the urethea and takes its time passing.  I too consider each time that I cannot do this much more, then it subsides....and it's on to next week.  The good news is after next week I get a break until July 11th my next poke and peak.  

Rosemary, I hope this all goes well with you and your "toes"....which is also a common bond we might have as my right knee (the one with the ganglion cyst) looks as if I swollowed a bowling ball and it stopped at my knee!  It's painful and huge.  Anyway, hope you are doing well today (back at work perhaps or resting up at home)....here's to next Thursday.  
Take Care BC Friend,
Sandy

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

16 years 11 months ago #5193 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Silly BCG Question
Rosemary, you are toooooo funny! ;D How many times does that happen to all of us - pink fuzz or some other matter causing us alarm??.. Always we are looking in the toilet, ever since our diagnoses!!! I never had to have BCG treatments, but I still look, every time...I don't think the general non-BC population would understand, but you just made me laugh.

I hope your discomfort is done for this week - have a great weekend!

Lauren
TaG1
12/05

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

16 years 11 months ago #5189 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Silly BCG Question
Hey Yo!

Thanks for asking.  I had a 1/3 dosage today, and I have to tell you it burned wicked bad for about 1 and 1/2 hours starting with the first void.  I was really uncomfortable and was thinking about ditching the idea from here on in.  I always forget that the burning passes eventually and things get back to normal.  Just 2 more to go. :)

I had some pinkish urine on the toilet paper and I may have seen a little bladder tissue in the toilet.  But, I am always imagining things in the toilet.  Not that they aren't there, but it usually turns out to be a red string or fuzz from my underwear.

Tell your hubby that I know how he feels.  I have not had the back ache, however.  

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #5188 by yosemite05
Replied by yosemite05 on topic Silly BCG Question
Rosemary,

How are you feeling since you had your BCG treatment today? My husband experiences a lot of bladder irritation, frequent urination and blood as well as his lower back aching. Tomorrow will be his 3rd treatment and then he's done for 6 months if the check up goes well (I know it will). Anyway, wishing you the best!

Yosemite

16 years 11 months ago #5185 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Silly BCG Question
I thought that BCG was a liquid solution, but it is not. It is powdered, and the nurse mixes it with a small amount of sodium chloride solution and then mixes it with a larger amount of sodium chloride solution. Then she inserts an in/out catheter into the bladder and gets rid of all the urine. After that is when she administers the solution into the other end of catheter. When she finishes the administration, she puts all of the paraphanalia into a plastic bag and pours bleach into it. The paraphanalia soaks for the rest of the day in the bag, and then is no longer considered to be a biohazard.

She also told me that administering the solution to me was very easy, because sometimes she has to squeeze and squeeze the vial. Today, it was just like pouring water from a pitcher. I bet it only took about 2-3 minutes. She said that was unusual.

Hope your Mother does well.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne