Silly BCG Question

17 years 20 hours ago #5182 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Silly BCG Question
He may be relieved!!!....Call your local hospitals and get a reference....ask a nurse..they know everything and everyone.........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 21 hours ago #5181 by klau1973
Replied by klau1973 on topic Silly BCG Question
Rosemary,

Thanks for asking that for me. I guess that makes sense. I am just surprised that they let people walk around with a live virus.

My mom is still trying to decide if she should go with this doc or not. The problem is, we really don't have a recommendation for someone else. I just hate blindly picking a doc especially when we are dealing with cancer. I am planning on calling and "interviewing" another doc tomorrow. Nothing is ever simple! My mom is worried about hurting the other uro's feelings if we decide not to go with him!! ::) I told her he will get over it!

Hope everything goes well with your BCG treatments!

Kim

17 years 1 day ago #5173 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Silly BCG Question
I am in the midst of 1/3 dosage BCG as I write this post.  I am now entering the 2nd hour and all is well.

I had lots of questions for the nurse during administration, one of them being, why would a doctor ask a patient to pick up their own dose of BCG?  And this was her answer....

MONEY

BCG is very expensive and it has a short shelf life.  My particular clinic gets money for the BCG's from some outside source to keep a stock on hand.   Then,  they carefully schedule demand and supply.

Rosemary  

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 1 day ago #5164 by yosemite05
Replied by yosemite05 on topic Silly BCG Question
My husband has the BCG instilled at his urologist's office. The pharmacy that delivers the BCG always calls to confirm the appt. and then they deliver it to the doctor's office. The urologist does the instillation. His first series of BCG was 6 times 1 week apart. After it is instilled, he has to hold it for 2 hours. His urine is checked at the time of his scope, which is every 3 months.

Yosemite

17 years 1 day ago #5163 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Silly BCG Question
My uro put in Bcg and said hold for 2 hours, then the second uro from cancer center said hold for one hour in the office doing the roll srround dance. then let it out and go home ,that is the time all worked but that had interferon in it. Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 1 day ago #5162 by klau1973
Replied by klau1973 on topic Silly BCG Question
Well it has become quite clear that he doesn't do them regularly. When I asked him about urine screens he said he would screen her once a month. Then he said he'd administer the BCG and have her hold it for an hour. I said, "I thought it should be two hours." He said well one to two hours. He also said he needed to check to see if the local hospital was "equipped to do BCG." He's been affiliated with this hospital for the past year, so if he needs to ask that question then I am guessing he hasn't done BCG in the past year if ever! Of course I don't want her to go to this guy, but my mom and sister are starting to think that I make a "project" out of everything so I'm not sure what she's going to decide. I tried to stress to my mom the importance of having her urine screened right before the instillation. She told me to post the question about picking the BCG up at the pharmacy and she would wait to hear what you all have to say before deciding what to do. She definitely doesn't want to travel all the way up to NYC for these treatments.

Kim

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne