Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?

3 years 7 months ago #59762 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
Systemic chemotherapy is not used in non-invasive bladder cancer because the bladder is a "contained" organ, not really open to the entire rest of the body under normal circumstances. I believe that the thermo-chemtherapy you refer to is the use of local administration of a therapeutic agent such as mitomycin along with heat. I am under the impression that this is in use in the US in multiple places, but cannot tell you specific places. I believe that MD Anderson conducted clinical trials of this a few years ago. You might contact them and inquire.

As for immunotherapy, it is used in many places and has had some real success. Here is a brief summary

www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer/treating/immunotherapy-for-bladder-cancer.html

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59761 by Sarag
Replied by Sarag on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
Do you know why chemo is not recommended? Diagnosis : Superficial bladder cancer (Stage 1) - not responsive to BCG at all- One oncologist recommended immunotherapy and another one recommended thermo-chemotherapy.

3 years 7 months ago #59760 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
Usually, chemotherapy of any kind is not indicated for superficial bladder cancer. What, exactly, is your diagnosis?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 7 months ago #59759 by Sarag
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if thermo-chemotherapy is available in the USA for superficial bladder cancer? I would like to speak to an oncologist who specializes in that. Or I would like more information about it. Thank you in advance.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne