Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?

10 months 1 week ago #59902 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
You have written a very good review of mitochondrial function! Back in my university faculty days I did research for years on mitochondrial enzymes related to cell division and sometimes found myself needing to explain mitochondria to laymen. They are basically the energy producers for the cell. And, as you mentioned they are critical for functioning of EVERY cell. Fiddling with them could be disastrous!

You also mentioned that mitochondria also have their own DNA. What is fascinating to me is that this only comes from the maternal parent!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 months 1 week ago #59903 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
Continuation of Mitochondria

Dr. Fink summarizes about Mitochondria and Mitochondrial Disease

Mitochondria Biology is a) Extremely relevant to human health, b) Only now (2016) beginning to be understood, c) Complex.

Mitochondrial Disease is a) Recognizable,b)More common than previously recognized, c) Causative of many pediatric and adult problems involving high-energy tissues, d) Likely involved in pathogenesis of many common disorders such as cancer, diabetes, neurodegenerative aging diseases.

She also mentioned that new therapies are being studied by pharmaceutical companies and by academia.

History of Mitochondria

Over many years - a few billion years, our body and our ancestors' body have changed to adopt in new and changing environment. There is a hypothesis that mitochondria was a bacteria living separately from our ancestors. Later, our cell engulfed the mitochondria bacteria. The rational is that our ancestor existed before there was an oxygen on Earth. If you recall, energy was created by two steps. The first step was in cytoplasm outside of Mitochondria. A set of chemical chains processed glucose without using oxygen and created 2 units of energy.
It means that our ancestors were generating some energy without mitochondria. Then, plants started its habitat and started generating oxygen. Our ancestors instead of waiting for mutations to use oxygen for energy production, engulfed Mitochondria bacteria as it was faster than waiting for mutations. So our body can generate small amount of energy even after oxygen become scares in our body such as when people exercise hard.

As mentioned before, Otto Warburg showed that cultured tumor tissues have high rate of glucose being consumed. I have explained that it is because caner cells (bladder epithelial cells) go through cell division every 24 hours where normal cells go through cell division every 40 days. What Warburg also showed was that cancer cells kept using the chemical reactions outside of mitochondria to generate 2 units of energy even if there enough oxygen which could e used to generate 36 units of energy in mitochondria using oxygen. Until today after 100 years after Warburg showed those metabolic changes, the scientific community has not reached a conclusion of why cancer cells chose inefficient way to produce energy (2 units) outside of mitochondria when it could utilize mitochondria more by using available oxygen to produce 36 units of energy per a glucose molecule.

10 months 1 week ago #59904 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
Hi Sara Anne,

Oops. You should have stated your career background in your profile. It would have been much easier to have asked you. :)

10 months 1 week ago #59907 by Sarag
Replied by Sarag on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
I can't begin to thank you for the information you both put out here on this thread. I had a hard day today. Just so overwhelmed sometimes.
Does DIET make a difference then?

Best,

Sara

10 months 1 week ago #59908 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
A good diet and healthy living are always always a good thing. But there is no magic bullet that will “cure “ cancer. Being in good shape will make the body stronger and better able to fight whatever attacks it, of course. I am afraid that cancer is not so simple.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 months 1 week ago #59909 by Sarag
Replied by Sarag on topic Thermo-Chemotherapy available in the USA?
I understand.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne