BCG with Interferon

6 years 3 months ago #54643 by VinceD
Replied by VinceD on topic BCG with Interferon
So, I had another follow-up cystoscopy this morning, and while I have been doing and feeling better (last cytology was negative) there are still about 4 spots of inflammation present. My urologist is also running another cytology test, but even if that is negative he still wants to be certain that the inflamed spots are just inflammation and not cancerous. It appears that I will need to have biopsy #3 in the next few weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that both the cytology and the biopsy come back negative.

It has been ~3 months since my last BCG/Interferon treatment. Been slowly but surely feeling better as time goes on. Hoping it is just the healing that is taking a while.

Vince

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #54453 by George9
Replied by George9 on topic BCG with Interferon
All the best!!

6 years 4 months ago #54452 by cltyxx
Replied by cltyxx on topic BCG with Interferon
Hi George9 and VinceD,

Thanks for these positive results! Keep fighting! Definitely better than the alternative....

I will possibly do my TURBT in early Jan. and then BCG + Inerferon. Will be there!

Take care!

Cltyxx

6 years 4 months ago #54449 by George9
that's great, Vince! I also had lots of inflammation after the treatments, and was urinating non stop. since I have had a couple of month's rest, I am almost back to normal, so hang in there. Of course, after next Tues., I'll probably be right back there, but at least I know it does get better. It certainly is better than the alternative, right?

6 years 4 months ago #54448 by George9
Me too, thank you!

6 years 4 months ago #54447 by VinceD
Replied by VinceD on topic BCG with Interferon
Hi All!

George, glad to see things are working for you! I had my follow up cystoscopy last Friday (6 weeks after final treatment). I still have a lot of inflammation in there, but the good news is that my cytology came back negative for CIS cells. My doctor told me that this is not a definitive test, and he gave me the option of going back in for another biopsy or waiting again 6 weeks and coming back for another follow up cystoscopy. I have chosen the latter. After two biopsies, I'd like to avoid having to go through it again if possible.

I have not had any hematuria in weeks, which I take as a good sign. My only issue now is that my bladder capacity is still restricted... probably due to the inflammation caused by the BCG / Interferon treatments. I am taking Oxybutynin, extended release for this and it seems to be helping. Hoping that in another 6 weeks we see some good progress with the inflammation. If that happens. I will likely start the maintenance treatments shortly thereafter.

Keep up the good fight!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne