Re-occurrence

14 years 7 months ago #27839 by cljjlk
Replied by cljjlk on topic Re-occurrence
Just to update everyone that has been so supportive, I have completed week two of BCG and all in all it is going well. I have had the usual fatigue and after the second dose a little of the flu like symptoms. One thing did happen that I don’t remember anyone mentioning it before was a discharge. After the second dosage, it started about 3 or 4 hours later. It started like the look and consistency of a bladder or prostate infection (yellowish white). As the day progressed it changed to a clearer liquid and not as thick (I know this is gross). The discharge lasted about 36 hours. There was no discomfort (burning or pain). I called my URO and he reassured me that it was the BCG working and not to be alarmed. Hopefully I don’t have to deal with this every week. To also update you, we finally got a reading from John Hopkins and they confirmed that the tumor was a TaG3. They agreed with the BCG treatment and the follow up TURBT. I guess this was like getting a second opinion without having to travel to Baltimore or having to go through another exam. Again, thanks for all your support.

Chuck ;)

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #27694 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Re-occurrence
You have the right attitude about not blindly following even though you do want to have faith in your doc!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 7 months ago #27691 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Re-occurrence
Sorry...it was the word "depth" that concerned me as that would be related to Stage....how deep the tumor had penetrated. Grade is how aggressive it is..and that is more often than not a variable...often misdiagnosed. So its a good thing that he is seeking confirmation from Hopkins.
Pat

14 years 7 months ago #27688 by cljjlk
Replied by cljjlk on topic Re-occurrence
Patricia,
I think it is my confusion of his explanation. What I read from the responses here is the WHO has classified Urothelial papilloma as two types (low-grade & High-grade). If I further understand the grading, American Cancer Society grades non-invasive as either Ta or T1. So when he was talking about the depth of the tumor being a 2 or 3, might he be talking about G2 or G3? I thought he said it was not into the lamina propria. I’m still confused. The reason he sent the slides to John Hopkins; he stated, was to obtain an additional opinion about the margin between the involved tissues. He said for his edification it would determine if it was a 2 or 3. The Pathologist here classified it as non-invasive high-grade papillary carcinoma. I brought up the staging of the Ta, etc. and it was in his conversion that I most likely got confused. He further stated that this was strictly for his knowledge and that it would not change the treatment plan (BCG). You and others here are such a rich source of knowledge and experience that I don’t question your responses. However, I think it often some of us novices that confuse the facts. I also feel that as a patient, you either have to have confidence in your doctor or you should be searching for one that you do. But I also feel that you shouldn’t have blind faith in everything your doctor says and does. You have a responsibility to educate yourself to a comfortable level of confidence and security. Again, I thank you and the others for your support.
Chuck

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #27685 by mmc

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
Attachments:

14 years 7 months ago #27683 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Re-occurrence
Hi Alan
I am so glad your Uro has sent the slides to a medical facilty that truly understands staging of bladder cancer. Ensure you get a 2nd opinion from a Uro from this facilty.
Either you mis-understood your Uro or he does not understand bladder cancer staging.
As Pat has linked to, staging of bladder cancer is TA, T1, T2, T3, and T4. Nothing new here.
I wish you all the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne