Re-occurrence

14 years 7 months ago #27682 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Re-occurrence
Patricia,

Well said. Adding another BCG PDF file for Chuck's inspection. Probably the best
summary I have seen. www.urotoday.com/prod/pdf/eau/05_TaT1_Bladder_Cancer.pdf

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #27681 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Re-occurrence
Alan....gee don't know where he came up with new staging but as of May 2009
Non-invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma is designated as stage Ta, while stages T1, T2, T3 and T4 refer to invasion into the subepithelial connective tissue, muscle, perivesical tissue and adjacent organs, respectively.
This is from the American Cancer Society as of May 2009
www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_3X_How_is_bladder_cancer_staged_44.asp

Since he is sending the sample to Johns Hopkins to determine the depth..makes me wonder why his pathology department can't do that. But i'm glad for the second opinion.
I definately would not schedule anymore BCG until you get those results and maybe a second opinion.
Pat

14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #27680 by Alan
Chuck,

There are MANY abstracts that give differing stats. Again too many variables to quantify exactly. Here is one that gives very encouraging stats.

www.urotoday.com/37/browse_categories/bladder_
cancer/efficacy_of_bacillus_calmettegurin_in_the_treatment_
of_superficial_bladder_cancer_the_impact_of_previous_
intravesical_treatment__abstract.html

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #27679 by Alan
Chuck,

I was dxd papillary, T1 G3 16 months ago. Went through 6 weeks BCG, 6 off then 6 more (there are differing thoughts on proper protocol and no one really knows). All I know is the size was .5cm-so it was small, my surgeon took great pains to not re-seed the TURB, and I don't discount the Man upstairs either. I write only to say I have been BC free for 16 months and there are many more with longer non-recurrent themes. One thing I have learned is that every case is unique in its on way. For myself I have added a few wrinkles. I quit diet and regular soft drinks. I have even read a few abstracts that while they don't cause BC it is interesting that a good many patients have no re-occurrences. Something made it easy for tumor to grow-I have never smoked. Never seen "severe papillary" words, I'd ask a few more questions of the doc. Guessing he is saying it is high gradel

Good luck and this is a wonderful site to ask, express and share.

14 years 7 months ago #27678 by cljjlk
Replied by cljjlk on topic Re-occurrence
To update all of you that has been so supportive with my latest reoccurrence. I finally have the results of the biopsy. The good news is that it was not CIS or another type of carcinoma that I feared. It was another papillary tumor. The bad news was that instead of it being a Ta or T1 that I have had in the past, it was at a minimum a T2, but might have been a T3. My Urologist sent the slides, etc. up to John Hopkins for an opinion to determine the depth and tissue involvement. At least that is how he explained it to me. The treatment plan is for 6 weeks of BCG and a rest period of 6 weeks followed by another TURBT. I would assume that this is a normal (standard) procedure. If the biopsy is clean, then he said he would determine the necessity of doing maintenance BCG.

My Urologist told me that the latest pathology staging for non-invasive papillary BLC is not the T staging but rather just three categories: (a) mild; (b) moderate; (c) severe. In fact he showed me the report and mine stated, “Non-invasive severe papillary carcinoma”. Is this something you have heard of before? Or did I misunderstand his explanation?

Again, I want to thank all of you that have been supportive and provided invaluable information.

Chuck :unsure:

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

14 years 7 months ago #27635 by mt bk
Replied by mt bk on topic Re-occurrence
I am also like you, but for some reason, felt compelled to check in tonight. BCG has helped me quite a bit. Four months after my initial 6 week treatment things looks very good, and I'm almost done with my first maintenance set. I expect to have a total of 12 BCG treatments by the end of the year. The BCG wears me down for a day or two, but I keep a strict diet and positive thoughts from this forum always help! Steve

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne