Re-occurrence

14 years 8 months ago #27476 by cljjlk
Replied by cljjlk on topic Re-occurrence
Tomorrow is the day for my repeat (third) TURB procedure. I thought I was doing all right, until the anesthesiologist nurse called a few minutes ago. For whatever reason (I’m sure you can relate to this) the apprehension has begun. I know this is just another bump in the road to living with BC, but it still doesn’t minimize the fears. As I have stated before, I really does help having this support group even though we have never met, I know I will get positive feedback from you. Thanks

Chuck :unsure:

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27403 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Re-occurrence
For BCG, you have to hold for 2 hours, but can go home. For the whole day, you have to disinfect the toilet with clorox every time you"go" I'm sure your uro's office will give you the detailed instructions. They ask that you not have anything to drink for about 2 hours before the instillation, and try to be completely emptied out before they instill it, then not drink anything while you are holding it. The nurse who does my instillations advised me to start drinking at about the 1.5 hour mark after, and then to drink a lot for the rest of the day (helps to flush out the BCG and lessen side-effects).

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

14 years 8 months ago #27402 by cljjlk
Thanks Ann and all of you that have been supportive. As my date for my TURB approaches, I am feeling less anxious. When I was given my 8 treatments of Mitimycin C last year, they would instill the drug and then send me home to retain it for a least an hour. With BCG is it done the same way or do you have to stay at the URO's office?

dx - Aug 2005

14 years 8 months ago #27401 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Re-occurrence
Chuck--

I'm with you on getting despondent/annoyed at a recurrence. I was really mad, especially as I'd gone a full two years since the initial tumor, and was loking forward to going to 6-month check-ups. My uro put me on BCG after only one recurrence after the initial Ta1. I really questioned the need after one recurrence in a relatively long interval, but after "talking" with people here on the board, to my cousin who's a radiologist specializing in the urinary tract, and reading more literature, I agreed to go ahead. Have completed one year on BCG, and am now on the 6-month maintenance schedule. So far so good in terms of side-effects, and all my 3-month checks have been "all clear."

Best of luck!

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

14 years 8 months ago #27387 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Re-occurrence
Chuck,

Great attitude! That's important and I truly believe it makes a difference. Even if it doesn't, what's the harm in having a great attitude? :)

I hope things turn out well for you and look forward to seeing your reports as you find out more information.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 8 months ago #27386 by cljjlk
Thank you all for your support and information links. I fully agree that our disease is more of a nuisance than a life threat. I also agree that losing one’s patience does not help. I was a little despondent the other day after the diagnosis and just wished that the disease would go away (don’t we all). My Urologist has discussed BCG if we had another reoccurrence. So after the TURB I am preparing myself mentally for that ordeal. I will keep everyone informed on the progression of the treatment and also try to participate here a little more often. Again, thanks for all your words of encouragement, they really do help. :cheer:

Chuck

dx - Aug 2005

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne