Pain Management/ Direct Hospital Admission Route

15 years 11 months ago #16272 by Clara
Karen,
I am so glad that Angelo is scheduled to go in and I pray that they do get to the "bottom" of this and can find something to relieve his pain.

Take good care of yourself and you know he will be in good hands.

Prayers and love are always with you and your family.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16267 by Julie
Yes Karen use this time to refresh yourself. I have usually spent hours at the hospital when Dick was there but his last time I just could not be there so much. And he did just fine with out me spending hours in his room. It will be less tiring for your husband to be in the hospital while they do all the tests instead of him having to come in for them as an outpatient. We hope they can find a way to ease his pain. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 11 months ago #16258 by Zachary

I'll tell you a little secret. When I was back in the hospital for some bleeding, I actually tried to get my wife to stay away for a day or two. I knew she needed a break and *I* needed a break (not necessarily from her, but I just wanted to be left alone in my room for a while to read and watch television).

So the break may not be such a bad thing for either of you. Sometimes a change of scenery can be refreshing.

I hope they discover what is causing his new pain and help him with it.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

15 years 11 months ago #16256 by momof4
Boy what a weekend!!! My husband was having extreme pain on Friday night into the early morning Sat. We were on the phone with the oncologist trying to find out if we could up the dose of the pain meds etc...

We made the adjustments they suggested, but Angelo feels like something "New" has happened, his whole pelvis, hips, sacrum, and the very top of his legs where they attach to the pelvis, is the area where the cancer has concentrated in his bones. He feels he may have cracked, or fractured something. (The bones become so very brittle) He is scheduled for a direct admission into the hospital for Thurs. AM he will go directly to the cancer floor and begin to get a battery of scans, x-rays, blood work etc...he will also be able to get the consult for his injection of Quadramet at this time, so it is one stop shopping...

If anyone needs treatment like this, I suggest calling your oncologist and requesting the direct admission route, it saves the wasted time in the ER, Especially when they are so uncomfortable, & they are going to be admitted anyway.

I feel bad that he has to go, but I have to admit, that the possibility of 8 hrs. uninterrupted sleep is appealing to me. (I cannot remember the last time that happened), and the idea of stopping at the store not in a mad dash sounds good too. I know that he will be in good hands, and home in a day or two, so I don't feel guilty. I need this little break.

Hope you are all well,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne