Where We Are Today

16 years 1 week ago #15904 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Where We Are Today
I've read and re-read what you wrote, and I can't come up with any words of comfort or help except that I'm thinking about you both and am praying for you and your husband.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15903 by momof4
Where We Are Today was created by momof4
Hi Everyone,

Well, all of our visitors are gone, and it is back to normal (whatever normal is) around here. My husband has not gotten out of bed (except to use the bathroom) in almost a week. He is not eating as much, and actually didn't eat at all on Friday, and Sat. I finally got him to drink an Ensure yesterday, he also ate a power bar, and a Turkey on whole wheat. He has not eaten so far today, and it is almost 1:00PM. I know that he is depressed, he wouldn't have even eaten what I gave him if I didn't threaten to take him to the ER because he is going to get dehydrated, and anemic. He said that he wished that there were a switch and he could just make the pain stop and just die. What do I do with that information? I have tried to get him to talk to someone, anyone, from counselors, family, even our priest...to no avail. He is in so much pain...he is taking 8 mg of dilaudid every 4 hrs., and lidoderm patches as needed. He is also taking about 3-4 Xanax a day. He sleeps during the day off and on, and then cannot sleep at night. I asked if he would take another 1/2 pill or even a whole one at bedtime, maybe that would help, but he doesn't want to. I want to re-schedule the consult with nuclear medicine Dr., so he can get his injection of Quadramet, but he is putting that off too. He heard that the pain actually increases in the first 48 hrs. after injection, and he cannot imagine being in anymore pain than he is. I think as far as he is concerned, he will just lay in that bed until the end. I tried to get him up to take a shower, and he just says that it hurts, and that he will take one later...He has never had a problem with depression, and he has always been such a positive person...I am having a hard time seeing him like this...he has always been a fighter, and I see him giving up now...Do I just support his decision in this, or do I still push to get him to get this injection, and eat, and get out of bed to shower? I understand that he is dying, but I still see a lot of life left in him, and this is not the time to give up. When it is that time, I feel like I would support him then. In my opinion it is the depression getting the best of him right now, and I am having a hard time letting him give in to that.

Any suggestions?
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne