This is where we are and some questions

16 years 2 months ago #13338 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic This is where we are and some questions
Julieann,

If your Mom is trying to decide on Chemo...Know that at any time she can stop, there is nothing written that says "you have to take this much"...She can request smaller doses, breaks etc...When the Cancer is metastatic she runs the show...There is no treatment that works yet, so they will let her try a few different ones to get her in HER comfort zone...I have found that (to an extent) whatever you ask for the Dr.s will do for you...They are very helpful in the Oncology Dept. ie...nurses staff etc...

As for getting sick...Your mother doen't have a compromised immune system yet...Dr.'s visits are fine...

Please be sure she keeps up with her Primary for all other issues that come up.

Know that at anytime day or night she can contact someone for help...whether it is mental or physical.

Once she is on the Chemo, the Treatment area is generally in a separate part of the facility...she will just be around other cancer patients...Even so, my husband wore a mask whenever we went there, and used Purell whenever he wasn't near a bathroom to wash his hands.

Lysol at home will be your moms new best friend. Does she live alone? If not I sprayed everything from the kitchen and door knobs, cabinet/drawer pulls, toilet, light switches..everything we all touched...

Chemo is a rough road, but if they can keep the cancer at bay for awhile I think it is worth it...It is worth a try anyway...she can always say thats enough when/if it is...

Here for you,

.·:*¨¨*:·.Karen.·:*¨¨*:·.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13335 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic This is where we are and some questions
Thanks so much! Hearing that you were diagnosed after just marrying, and the fact that a co-worker just buried a son, sort of puts things in perspective for me. You seem so strong! Anyway, anything helps. Just a response helps if that makes sense. I hope my previous post made SOME sense. I mean, people make different decisions based on where they are in their lives. I hope you are well. Let me know about you.

16 years 2 months ago #13333 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic This is where we are and some questions
Hi Juliann,

Your Mom is so fortunate to have you looking out for her :)
I do not have a primary care doctor presently...I was dx'd 5 weeks after I married and moved across statelines. Fortunately, my local oncologist and urologist have handled everything. I intend to get a primary doc after things settle down.
As for the chemo, we are all different - physically and emotionally. Can you take her to the infusion room at the oncologists office? Maybe if she saw how the environment, nurses and other patients are it would help. Ours is very well staffed, has volunteers, massage therapists, and tv's, puzzles, etc. Not anything like my Grandma's chemo room.
Wish I had more ways to help.
God Bless, Holly

16 years 2 months ago #13330 by julieann
This is where we are and some questions was created by julieann
Well, right now, we are waiting for Mama to decide about chemo. They have definitely ruled out radiation as an option. I do have a couple of questions...of course I do right??? .
1) Mama has a cold. No big deal really, but it brought up a question for us. Does she need to go sit in the packed doctors office amongst the flu etc for hours to see a doctor? If not, then what do we do? Call the oncologist or who?
2) I know that everyone is different etc, but Mama would appreciate some input on the chemo. Now of course she wants to be cured but that isn't happening. I think if she were younger and had small kids, it would be a no brainer..chemo most definitely. But, she isn't, so my question is....I guess sort of a poll...in your case was the chemo effective and was it worth it?
I know that is a tough question and it is more of an opinion and of course that will not be solely how she makes a decision, but it is good to know others' experiences.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne