This is where we are and some questions

16 years 2 months ago #13367 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic This is where we are and some questions
Juliann,
Thats funny, I know when my mom was in her fifties most women had the flab flapping in the wind under there arms, moo moo dresses were in style, not so these days, I just meant she has alot of living to do if she can. Its amazing when you get over that 60 mark it just makes you want to be around longer and longer, and with quality of life. No offense taken at all. Remove your foot!!! Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13364 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic This is where we are and some questions
I think I am tasting my foot in my mouth :) Didn't mean to imply that 69 is old. I just meant it is a different season in life. Maybe I better quit while I'm ahead. Thanks for all the replies. You guys are the best!

16 years 2 months ago #13361 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic This is where we are and some questions
This is not an easy decision to make. You said your Mother has seen her siblings go through chemo so she has a good idea of the effects. I have seen people go either way when it comes to whether to have chemo or palliative treatment only. For some every inch of time they can eek out is important for others quality of life is important. I sure don't know what I would do faced with that decision. Your Mother will make the best decision for her in this circumstance.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 months ago #13356 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic This is where we are and some questions
Julianne, 69 is not very old really, I think she wants to save herself the effects of chemo, in some cases I have seen it does make things worse, but its all depending on the persons ability to deal with it. Quality verus's quantity, if she is not going to survive this maybe its best to let her decide. Whatever she chooses she is strong from what I have read about her,its normal to want her to have chemo, of course you want her here as long as possible, I have compassion for you and your family, all the decisions being made are difficult, take care, Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13353 by julieann
Replied by julieann on topic This is where we are and some questions
I didn't mean to make it sound as if she doesn't want to live. What I meant was, that I would guess that if she were younger and still had small children, she probably wouldn't even hesitate to take treatments. I know everyone is different. I feel like the doctor has offered her little hope and has told her the chemo would only prolong her life maybe 6 months. i think if she felt that it would prolong it greatly, she would definitely do it. I'm not sure that she can think beyond what he has told her if that makes sense.

16 years 2 months ago #13340 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic This is where we are and some questions
Julieann...i've found that the will to live doesn't seem to have an age boundry...my mother was given 6 weeks to live at 69 yrs of age and made it 9 l/2 yrs....my father had bypass surgery at 84yrs of age to prolong his life.
As for the immediate question of your mother having a bad cold i'm sure the oncologist would not want her to be around other compromised individuals that are presently on chemo.. I would call and inform the office of her condition.
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne