Some old fashioned remedies for irritated muscles?

13 years 3 months ago #35532 by BillM
Hi Pat,

I tried some biking shorts over the weekend, not enough pressure down in the groin area, grrrr. That was after my 2 year old put his elbow right where it hurt the most! Lotsa' beer and duct tape maybe... I have pulled muscles before, and after 4 or 5 days they start getting better, but this is totally new.

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #35530 by Patricia
I did the same thing after i had breast surgery a year ago..caught a terrible cold and after one god alful cough i felt something pull right next to my stoma which is where my navel was and i swore it was a hernia. They even did a CT scan and ruled it out...I just pulled a muscle. I had a horrible time lying down and getting up..kind of had to roll to one side so as not to pull on it. It eventually healed but it took a while. I don't suppose Spanx Pants would be appropriate for you but they worked for me :woohoo:
pat

13 years 3 months ago #35527 by BillM
Hey Mike!

Tried a pillow, but just not enough pressure as the area is right next to the pelvic bone. I tried a folded up towel and that works fine if I’m leaning forward sitting but it also puts pressure on the bladder. With only two months on the new bladder, pressure is not ideal for sitting on furniture or in the car!

I did look at abdominal binders yesterday, but I need something that also supports down into the pubic area as the spot is just below the belt line almost into the pubic area.

We are going to give it a little time to see if it starts to heal before going further with the possibility of a hernia. The only time it really hurts is lying down or coughing and sneezing. My doc said that either way, it’s not going to go away fast and to be patient. So, the quest is on to find something to get rid of the pain at night other than meds.
Meds > deep sleep > missed bathroom calls

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC

13 years 3 months ago #35526 by mmc
Bill,

You might want to consider an abdominal binder. Drug stores have them and they use velcro to bind you. When you sneeze or cough, hang on to a pillow and pull it tight to your abdomen.

I am not so sure you can rule out an incisional hernia yet. I've had two follow up surgeries for hernias. First time was three of them, second time they quit counting at 5 hernias. It's pretty easy to get a hernia and they can be small. Mine were not painful at all but it can be.

Incisional hernia doesn't mean that the hernia is right on the incision.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #35524 by BillM
Hello All!

I am 8 weeks post RC and things have been going really good until…

I got a cold a while back and as it was going away, the sneezing and coughing picked up. Finally on Friday, Christmas Eve no less, something gave while sneezing. I did contact my doctor, but she said there’s not much she can do about it other than recommend rest, Ibuprofen / Tylenol, and the frustrating one, time. The pain is down between the waist line and pubic area on one side.

Anyone have any old fashioned remedies? Wearing an athletic support has helped with everything pain wise, but coughing or sneezing. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW we did rule out herniated tears, doc said in the area where it is, I would hit the floor just getting up from sitting.

Thanks,

Bill

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne