New bag man needs support.

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33331 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic New bag man needs support.
I am going to lock this thread I have started a new one under invasive for you so that it will get more attention. The new thread title is New user with bag at 9.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
The topic has been locked.
13 years 8 months ago #33328 by rudyskier
Replied by rudyskier on topic New bag man needs support.
Hi Joey, Wow, 9 years old. Sounds like an interesting story compared to the rest of us "Old Guys". I think that perhaps you should post this up and relate your story on a new discussion topic though. This was an old topic that is not active any more. There are frequent discussions her almost hourly sometimes.
Rudy
Neo-Bladder and "former" cancer patient
13 years 8 months ago #33327 by jmco12
Replied by jmco12 on topic New bag man needs support.
So, I just found this site, I guess I knew that something like this was here but... I got my bag when I was 9, I'm now 33 and well used to it, but it was hard during the teen years. I'm trying to get a social work dgree and work with cancer patients, so I'm familiarizing myself with sites like this. I noticed that it has been a while since anyone has posted here, but I thought I would give it a shot. I would be happy to go into more detail about "my story" if anyone is interested, but for now just know that it's not as bad as it seems at first, and just like so many other things our bodies AND minds will get used to almost anything. Whether you like it or not, you just got another friend! Hope to talk to you soo, Joey
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #30596 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic New bag man needs support.
I can empathize with the leaking bag. It took me a couple of months to "get it right"...I use a Convatec 'stomahesive' skin barrier and their bag. I like to change mine on the 4th day. Usually, it starts giving way by then. I keep a spare in the vehicle. But I have had few accidents. Are you using the stomahesive powder on your skin before you apply the barrier? Also, I place a heating pad on me after I apply a new system, that kind of seals it better.

Have a positive attitude toward it...Best way to go. Even after 2 years I feel better about it and handle it better each day. Changes take time to adjust to.

I am having my 2 year scan tomorrow.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008
14 years 2 months ago #30440 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic New bag man needs support.
Fishman,

Please don't give up! When I got my Indy Pouch in July 2007, it took me a good three months for my bladder to calm down....I was upset and angry and complained to my doctors about how could I possibly be expected to return to work. Well, I was determined to return to work and so I kept asking questions and trying diffent products until I found one that worked for me. I couldn't even get an appointment with a stoma nurse so I called a couple of medical suppliers and asked for samples. They really are good about sending samples so I would encourage you to do that if you haven't already. Things will get better. You have to believe that.

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, til it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1811-1896

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright
14 years 2 months ago #30354 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New bag man needs support.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne