Continent Diversion - Indiana pouch - questions and concerns

16 years 7 months ago #8284 by Mike
I have the Indiana Pouch and no I would not go back and try for the Neobladder. I'm in and out of the bathroom and done within 5 mins. And most days I usually never have to cath more then 5x. I was a lucky man I fought hard and tried my best to focus positive and thank God I am now cancer free. Wish you the best down the road, Joe ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #8281 by Stephany
Hi, Eileen. My husband had an Indiana pouch done on July 30. His stoma is in his navel, and you cannot see any difference at all.

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 7 months ago #8241 by Patricia
Hi Eileen....just looked at that picture of the stoma......mine is at my navel and is waay smaller than that picture..its exactly the size of my old belly button without the lint. Other than the bright red color you wouldn't know what it was.
Pat

16 years 7 months ago #8227 by mikeg
hi wendy - thanks for moving that. i never read how to use this web site so i just guessed as far as where to put my posting. the picture is helpful - thanks. i hope it induces my husband to get the neobladder instead of the indiana pouch. i'm going to show it to him. eileen

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

16 years 7 months ago #8214 by wendy
Hi Eileen,
Please forgive me for moving your message but "chit chat" isn't the place for these serious questions, and I thought you'd get more responses here.

There's a photo of an abdominal stoma here:
www.ostomy-medical-supplies.com/Normal%20Skin%20Around%20Ostomy%20Stoma.jpg
I have known guys with Indiana Pouches who have the stoma through the navel and it's not even visible.

From what I've heard, men are quite happy with their neobladders, even if they have to cath. I have also met men quite satisfied with their Indiana pouch. Even people with the 'bag' say they aren't sorry they went for it.

The difference is that with an internal pouch or hypercontinent neobladder, you never leave home without your equipment.

I hope you get the answers you need.
Best,
Wendy

16 years 7 months ago #8196 by mikeg
Hi everyone. My husband, Mike G., got his surgery date for his RC. It will be Nov. 5th at Johns Hopkins with Dr. Schoenberg. Mike is trying to decide between a neobladder and the Indiana Pouch. Can the pouch people out there tell me the pros/cons of their diversion? Also, I would like to hear about the care, complications, etc., of the stoma, and if you had it to do over again, would you try for the neobladder if you had the choice? Also, can someone email me a photograph of the stoma? I've never seen one. We're starting to get anxious around here and any and all input would be very much appreciated. I for one just want to get the cancer out of my husband's body and get this whole surgery over with so we can attempt to move on with our lives.

Thanks a lot! Eileen G.

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne