Continent Diversion - Indiana pouch - questions and concerns

16 years 6 months ago #8892 by Patricia
Any pharmacy that has osteo supplies (look in the yellow pages or ask your insurance company who they will pay for)..you only need one syringe...you do your regular cathing and while the cath is still in there put in 30cc's into the syringe and then into the catheter. Put the syringe back into the saline bottle..it will fit right into it. Just move the catheter around and sometimes all of the saline will come out and sometimes none of it does or a portion of it does...it doesn't matter. Because i use a fresh cath each time i don't have to worry about contaminating the syringe.(i watched them do it in the hospital...) I would rinse my syringe after the 24 hrs with just hot water. My prescription covered 8 bottles and cost me about $l0..but i have prescription insurance also.
There's a recipe on this site somewhere for making your own saline...now to find it...I think it might be in Karen Greenes paper on caring for the Indiana Pouch..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8891 by Stephany
Whenyou are un inthe hospital, you will get a chance to do some of the rinsing/flushing of all the tubes, so that when you go home, you will have had some experience. Are you planning on staying in the hospital or close by?

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 6 months ago #8888 by momof4
Funny Zach....I am sure you could just boil tap water too....

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8885 by gamedoll
Patricia,
Where do I get the syringes? How many do I need? Do I put it in the cath or into the skin?

do I stand? Do I suction it out by pulling back non the syringe or let it come out on its own?

16 years 6 months ago #8883 by Zachary
USC/Norris gave me a recipe for saline solution as well.

The prescription stuff was pretty expensive, but if money is no object you can always make your own using melted glacier water and Hawaiian sea salt.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #8882 by momof4
We used to make homemade saline when we were camping for bites/wounds etc... we were told we had to use distilled water, and make sure everything that you use is sterile. (just submerge the container in boiling water for 3 sec.)but the salt amount was the same per qt. as Joe stated...

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne