Continent Diversion - Indiana pouch - questions and concerns

16 years 6 months ago #8847 by Melodie
Wendy,

I got out those continent stoma dressings and gave them another try...I think Rosebud likes them...or I am releasing less mucus....anyway, I've been able to keep one on for 3 hrs. and she isn't fussing about it... better than having to peak into my undies every so often... so I'm thinking these are a keeper for me. They are pricey at 12 for $20 but when I get so I can leave them on for 4 or 5 hours, the price goes down. :) Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8827 by Patricia
Gamedoll...they are all disposable...read the package they come in...it says "Do not reuse"....but yes people do wash them and reuse them...i just figured if i didn't have to why should i mess with it. Mine cost $l.l0 / each...sometimes i use a clear one which is softer and that one more expensive $2.l0/each. And yes i use the surgilube packets every time. My prescription from my surgeon is for one year however many i need and it gets renewed every year.
Good luck with the kidney problem...was any of that apparent before surgery?
Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8825 by gamedoll
YOU GUYS ARE SUPER. yOU DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT WAS TO FIND YOU. I should get some answers the 23rd. He said it could be a tumor (hope not)or trama from the surgery or one other thing that I didn't hear after the word tumor. He said because the creatine was normal though the BUN was a little high, we would wait until I have the next CAT scan which I had last week. I have not heard the results, so I'm hoping. Also I had a neuclar test that said my right kidney is functioning at 13% and my left at 87%. When I had the surgery, the path report said I was in the clear and wouldn't have to have Chemo. I plan on asking about the Iodine and also I use the same cath for about a month. I wash it thouroughly with anti-bacterial soup. Do they make disposal ones? Do yoy use sugaglub on your cath?

16 years 6 months ago #8820 by Patricia
Nope never saw any iodine...and the anti-bacterial soap irritated the heck out of my skin..i'm sooo delicate....I just use plain old water to rinse off the stoma after cathing and dry it..stick on a bandaid and i'm off!! I do use a fresh catheter each time....Between 2 of my doctors writing letters and actually finding an intelligent person at the Insurance company they pay for 80% of my supplys. It was a battle but i won. The stoma doesn't seem to be that sensitive to anything...i take baths . go swimming...if ever there is some blood which happens some times..usually indicating a more alkaline urine i just plop some neosporin on it. I'll be interested in hearing the iodine theory.........Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8816 by Mike
Gamedoll I had a blockage to my kidney when I had the Turbt done the tumor was growing up my left ureter and blocking my kidney and they put a stent in and resolved the problem but my creatine level was about 2.2. I don't understand if one of your kidneys is not working right how your creatine level is still normal seems to me it would be on the higher side you got me on that one. What did your Dr say if the kidney was not working right and the creatine level was normal. And the iodine I just use a good anti bacteria soap you can dab it with a piece of gauze or use a q-tip and that keeps the stoma sterile also. In the hospital they give you a brand new cath everytime you need to cath it is not that way when you get home. Some have insurance that will pay for all they need but most don't so I look for ways that still work and are more cost effective. Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8815 by gamedoll
I have used iodine before cath since the surgery. I asked the doctor about it and he said I would need it for life. I take it I'm the only one using it. Interesting!
I have an appointment with him the 23rd and I'll see what he says. I had a cat scan and one of my kidneys is nor functioning well. Have any od you experienced. My creatine level is normal.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne