T2 diagnosis for husband, how to choose option?

16 years 9 months ago #6806 by Stephany
Sorry....didn't mean to be confusing. The stricture is of long-standing history. The cancer is actually in the bladder, but the surgeon is worried about the stricture returning after the surgery and causing problems with drainage of the neo-bladder.

The NCI center is the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, and their path report was the second we have received, and agreed with the first report, so we have had a second opinion.

the path report says infiltrating high grade urothelial carcinoma and muscular propria present with focal invasion. His urologist said that it is T2. The surgeon agrees with this diagnosis, and says that the bladder should be removed, along with the prostate and lymph nodes.

We will go to the sites you recommend. You have experience with an Indiana pouch?

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6805 by Patricia
Hi Stephany.......wow you're going at lightening speed here.....I guess you're referring to a urethral stricture? Have they determined that the cancer is at that juncture? I could see why they would be hesitant to do the neo-bladder as any stricture would be very painful for him to cath himself and could lead to not being able to completely void fluid from his new bladder. They rarely offer an internal pouch for a man...i don't know why...but i certainly think its a viable option...at least you don't have to mess with an external bag. The Indiana pouch is pretty easy to manage and the stoma can be placed either at the navel or lower on the abdomen...its usually the physicians choice. Recovery from any reconstruction can vary......6 to 8 weeks they will tell you..
Which NCI site are you referring to? You might want to venture a second opinion simply because of the stricture issue and its cause. Do you have a copy of the pathology report? What does it say?
Will try to guide you the best we can. Take a look on the home page for information on types of diversions......go to Cystectomy and click that on and then go to Linda W's info .........Pat

16 years 9 months ago #6803 by Stephany
My husband was just diagnosed with T2 bladder cancer (muscle invasive) last week. He first saw the urologist on a Tuesday for a TURBT, saw the cancer surgeon on Friday, and we're scheduled for cystectomy on the 30th of July at a NCI site. Whew!

Now, we have to decide (really, HE has to decide, I'm just along for the ride) between the three major options: neo, internal pouch, or ostomy. He's self-employed, and we actually have to disability insurance that kicks in at 30 days, so we could choose a longer recuperation period.

He's 59, with rheumatoid arthritis, which is under control. He also has a stricture, which may have contribute to the tumor, so the surgeon is a little reluctant to recommend a neobladder.

Please......we could use some advice and information about recovery time, choices, etc.

I would appreciate any help you all can offer....

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne